Saturday, March 27, 2021

1953 Elizabeth Johnson Letter - Mar.14


 

Elizabeth Johnson
New Vienna, Ohio
Sat afternoon 
[postmarked March 15, 1953]
Dear Jean & Harold,

We are having rain this afternoon so we have to stay in.  Roberta is sleeping and Catherine is drying some dishes.  We washed the car yesterday as it was very pretty outside.  Then we went to the barn and Roberta walked right up and petted the calves.  She also caught a chicken.  Catherine was mad because she had been trying all week to catch one & couldn't.  They are both O.K. so far.  I don't believe Catherine is quite so lonesome as she was.  I showed her Oscar's niece's picture and told her that she slept in the same bad and so forth and now she feels like a big girl for the niece is soon six years old.

We had a trip to New Vienna this A.M. and Catherine told me how to go.  She also showed me where she lived and she didn't want to stop or anything so I guess maybe I was just scared she might be getting homesick.

One of our neighbors died Thursday.  He was a very good friend and had helped me so much when Oscar was gone.  He died so sudden it was an awful shock, because although he was 79 years old he was very young acting and such good help.  We certainly are going to miss him.  I want to go to the funeral to-morrow so I went to New Vienna this A.M. and Miss Letty said she would come out & stay with the children.  I hope this was O.K.  I stopped and asked Mildred [Henderson] but they were having company and she is having a spell with her nerves again and all she could do was cry and then that yard is right on the highway so I thought it would be much better to have Miss Letty out here.  We stopped in at the Steeles as I wanted to find out about my report for next Sunday night.  We really had quite a visit all around town.

I was amused at Miss Letty she was very much worried for fear the girls weren't getting along alright way out here.  She said she wasn't very well but she thought it would do her good to sit with the girls.  She even said she would miss church and eat an early dinner so she would be ready.

Well I am out of paper so must sign off.

Love, Elizabeth


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album