Friday, March 12, 2021

1948 Calvin Smith Letter -Mar.7

 


Bexley, Ohio
Sunday, 7 March 1948

Dear Groom-to-be,

I was exceedingly sorry to have missed you & the little missus [?] the Sunday you stopped by it happened to be that first Sunday this year I stayed around the Student Union all afternoon talking with friends, etc. and I was thoroughly disgusted with myself for not having come home as I should have.

I suppose that your legal thoughts are those that least occupy your mind nowadays; I imagine that the harmony of wedding bells and love music is the only thing you'll listen to.  Well that's fine, of course, I hate to see our old Triumvirate yield to the appeal of the fair sex this way -- but that's the way life goes.  People just will die & get married!  It was quite a surprise to me that your wedding will be on April 3rd (?) -- especially since I started taking organ sessions in February, being fully assured by Wm. Glenn, my teacher, that I could learn enough in one semester to enable me to play for a wedding in June.  No matter, though; I'm really relieved that I shan't have to play the organ.  I should have taken organ, anyway, sooner or later, and I'm fortunate something happened to force me to start immediately.

It will be fine to meet you in Steubenville, if you'll let me know when you'll be there; I have just one class on Friday afternoon and will gladly skip it for such an important occasion.  You might ask Jean if there's any particular number she'd like to have me play; and if at all possible I'll try to look it up.

How's everything going?  I suppose you're in one grand whirl trying to get everything managed, etc.  Have you found a suitable place to stay in Cleveland?  I presume Jean will continue with her work in the library.  How is school coming along?  Just fine, I hope & trust.  The library work must help you & a car is giving you study time and extra general knowledge about the legal field.

Things seem to be going o.k. for me so far this semester, at least nobody's said anything about throwing  me out yet.  Work is piling up thicker & thicker as the days go by and about Easter time I'll be in up over my ears!  Two English research papers to write (neither of which I've started as yet) among other things.  I've also contracted a new job -- that of geology lab assistant.  The pay is $15 a month -- it's about 7 hours a week more or less.  The duties of this position are, to phrase it briefly, just being general flunky for Mr. Bond, the geology prof.  There are topographic maps to be kept straight, mineral identifications to check, the bulletin board to keep up-to-date, etc.  Then too, I'm to play nursemaid to the little fossils, seeing that no harm comes to them and all that sort of thing.  My schedule of 19 hours for the semester I find increasingly hard to bear and shall possibly have to cut it down to 18 next fall.  Still planning to go to summer school the first six weeks, same as last summer.

I haven't been home much since the interim between semesters; I did go home last weekend, however, because [indecipherable: looks like ???ther] was sort of "homesick", I think for home coming the last crucial games of the tournament, but couldn't go because there were no more seats available -- all sold out long since.  So I had to hear the great report second-hand -- that N.V. -- dear old N.V. is the Clinton County champ. of 1948, for the first time since '27, someone said.  Everybody is pretty much elated about the fact,  I guess.

Well, it appears that it's about time for my Sunday evening repast, so I'll close more with the hope that I hear from you soon & find out any of Jean's or your - preferences for music at your wedding.  Hope things are just peachy, remember to enjoy this as much as possible -- it's one thing in your life that'll never happen again!  Congratulations, old boy.  I'll be seeing you.

Sincerely,     Calvin


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album