Tuesday, February 09, 2021

1981 Catherine's Letter -Feb.9

 

Monday, February 9, 1981

Dear Mother, Dad and Mary,

Hi!  I got this stationery as a prize for playing Bingo at the Lady of Elks meeting last week.  I also won the grand prize -- a big bottle of soft soap but all the fun was taken out of winning that.  This other lady and I were tied and when I won in the play-off she got upset that she hadn't won.  I can't imagine getting upset over not winning a bottle of soft soap but I guess some people get upset easily!  Tomorrow night a group of the Madras ladies are going to Prineville for their LOE meeting.  I gold Gerry I am going to see all my garden club friends which is a joke form when some Prineville Ladies came to Madras and several of them thought they knew me from their Garden Club -- I must have a double living in Prineville who is into gardening!  Next week they are going to visit Bend & Redmond.  I will pass on those places -- I have enough to do next week anyway with Elks on Wednesday and Bunco on Thursday.

Our vacation is getting closer & closer.  A month from today we should be going through upper New York and Massachusetts.  We have confirmed our ride to The Dalles on Saturday, March 7th.  This guy that I worked at the Court House with and Gerry knows from the Elks is going to take us.  We are going to pay for his gas and buy him lunch before we take off.  These other friends that were going to take us will now be picking us up.  They are notoriously slow and always late getting everywhere and we would have been nervous wrecks worrying about whether we would make it in time.  As it stands now we plan to leave Madras at 8:00 a.m. and the train leave The Dalles at 1:20.  That should give us plenty of time to drive 95 miles and have lunch!  I read in the paper where Amtrak is one of the government programs that will be losing funding which of curse will raise the fares.  I guess we are lucky to be going now.

It's about time to be leaving for work so I better close.  I have to start wearing uniform tops to work.  Dr. Woll is furnishing one -- which I bought at a uniform shop and got reimbursed for and then the girl who is pregnant and quitting the end of the month is giving me her old ones so I am not out anything.  I didn't want to invest a lot of money knowing that I won't be there that much longer.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry
& Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album