Monday, February 15, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Feb.18

 

10:00 Thurs. Morning
February 18, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John, Mary,

So winter has finally hit you?  Or are you having some of the warm weather which is now it its second day here?  Maybe it's the weather or maybe just me but I have come down with a bad cold.  Ugh.  I'm not going to work today so maybe it will be better by tomorrow.

Thank you for the Valentine and the money.  I'm taking Dick and Mrs. Hall to dinner tonight at the Dragon Inn -- the Chinese place we went once.  I guess she used to go there alot so thought she might enjoy going again.  She is taking the bus to Flint tomorrow but may be back down again before we go back to school.  It seems since she has been here Dick and I have spent less time at home but then I have been working, too.

I really enjoy working at the library.  Yesterday I had to explain the Inter-library loan system to a girl from the WMU Library School who is doing her field project.  I have already seen the importance of language.  A girl who is doing her SIP on medical history in Germany ordered a bunch of books through the ILL so I had to look them all up in the National Union Catalog and/or the Library of Congress Catalog of Printed Cards and try to find verification for what she wanted.

At Ambassador my speed has picked up incredibly.  I am now averaging 350 cards/hour with sporadic burst of speed I am consistently beating my own records.  Last night I did one batch of 100 in 14 minutes.  I think I'm approaching top speed though.

I have almost finished the translations.  Dr. Fugate checked over the first 30 pages of The Tiger, Joseph and I corrected the mistakes he noted and altered some things according to his suggestions.  I am now trying to apply them (his remarks) to the next thirty pages before I give them to him to correct.

Last Saturday night I babysat for The Dorner's who live about 1/10 mile down the road.  They live in a beautiful old country home which they had all modernized.  the kids were really nice and the whole evening went well.  I must be establishing myself in the neighborhood as the people in the next house have also called me about babysitting.

I am already dreading going back to school.  But I keep telling myself surely I can live through 10 more weeks of it.  I will be rooming with Debby so I will have that going for me anyway.  And Dick will be there and so will the library.  So it won't be entirely bad.

Write soon.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album