Saturday, February 06, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Feb.9

 

Tuesday morning
February 9, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  I was glad to get your letter yesterday along with the clippings and Joe's letter.  Also thanks to Dad for the post card from New York.  I hope everyone is surviving this cold weather.  Despite the long underwear and the heavy coat I am beginning to wish it were spring.  I have had enough for this winter.

This is my last week of working all afternoons at the library as next week I start with only three afternoons a week until March 1 when I retire.  That is until March 18 when I will be working 8 hrs/day until school starts again.  I have finished about 3300 of the 20,000 cards at Ambassador.  I figured at top speed every instant (top speed is about 300 cards/hr) I am making almost $1.90 an hour.  The problem is that I am unable to keep up my top speed continually.  I have finished the addresses for New England and an now working on the mid-west, staring with Illinois.  They are all high schools so I thought if East Clinton was on the list I would send it to Serena Uible, EC.  [Ambassador was a travel agency that specialized in school music group tours, and they were in the process of computerizing their address list, thus the typing of data cards that would then be fed into the computer/printer -- a very old-fashioned tech process now.]

I have finished three of the five dreams which makes up the second half of my translation.  I took the first story, The Tiger Joseph in to Dr. Fugate yesterday to have him check over the rough draft.

Our family is increasing as John Hayes, a former K College guy, is also living with us.  He had an apartment in Kalamazoo and had to give it up the 1st of this month and isn't able to move in his new one until Feb. 22.  With two guys around I get to do even more cooking and the food goes faster so I like it better.  Mrs. Hall may be leaving soon but there is sort of a hassle about getting her back as Dick has four really poor tires on his car with a spare that is no better and he doesn't want to drive very far.  But Mrs. Hall does not want to take the bus so . . . .  Eventually one of the other will have to give either he will drive the car or she will ride the bus.  His aunt would probably come to get her but I don't think either one of them want that either.

Lunch is on so I better go get dressed and ready for work.

Love, Catherine


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album