Saturday, April 21, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -April 13

April 13, 1968
Dear Mother, Daddy, Serena, John, Mary and Grandma and Granddaddy,

Hi!  Gee, I'm worn out after that long greeting!  How is everyone?  I got the card, letter rather, from Dad yesterday along with the check which I deposited.  I got a total of 90¢ interest for last quarter.

Right now I am saving the money up for all the stuff I need for the summer.  For instance:

April 14, 1968
Well, while I was looking up the stuff I'm going to need for the summer I got tired and decided to go to bed.  Alot of good it does me to save my money because last night I dropped my contact on the floor.  After searching for an hour I gave up and went to bed.  I figured maybe the good fairy would put it back on the dresser over night but no such luck.  It may still turn up and in the mean time I am wearing my glasses.  One right contact doesn't do my left eye much good.

I don't remember when I last wrote – oh, yes, I think it was Wednesday.  That evening I worked for 2 1/2 hours.  I served a banquet for the German dept. and I felt pretty weird saying, "Coffee, sir?" when every one else was prattling in German.

Thursday evening Joe, David, Sarah, Bruce, Dick, and I all went downtown to see Robert F. Kennedy.  Dick [yes, the same guy I would marry three years later] has a car as his home is here in Kalamazoo.  Did I say we went to see him?  Actually, I saw a mob of people and after we waited 1 1/2 hours I did get glimpse of him from a distance of about 100 yards.  He spoke for about 10 minutes and I can't say as I was overly impressed.  As soon as he was finished I ran to the church and got there just in time for the communion service.

Friday was another easy day because all the afternoon classes were cancelled so my only class was chemistry.  I served a luncheon for the chemistry dept. and put in 2 4/5 hours work.  Among the guests were my chemistry prof, Dr. Wright my old physics prof, and Dr. Deal who I have babysat for.  All my friends together . . . .

The Methodist Church had services Friday afternoon every half hour from noon until three with different speakers.  As soon as I finished with the luncheon I came back here to the dorm to get Roberta's package, my money for the bank and rushed down to the church.  I got there at 3 just as the last service was ending.  When I got to the post office I found that I didn't have enough money for the package of Roberta's sweater so I carried it back to the dorm again.

Yesterday afternoon I helped with the Action Now group which is canvassing the white districts of Kalamazoo.  I have been spending alot of time with Marsha, a girl down the hall.  We have alot in common – the No. 1 thing being that at the end of last quarter when Sue went to Colorado her best friend went to New Hampshire.

David and I went to church this morning – both services were packed!  He is a Mormon but there isn't any Mormon church close-by.  It has been pouring all day long.  There are severe thunder storm warnings out until five.  What an Easter.

Easter dinner was a joke.  All week long the rumors have been going around about what a good dinner we were going to get – real yeast rolls instead of brown and serve, even!  Well, there were tablecloths on the tables and that was about the only difference.  Instead of brown and serve rolls our table got bread – plain, old bread!  The ham was in long skinny strips like bacon, and the beans were cold.  Two of the people at my table got so disgusted they left before the jelly bean cake came!

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album