Friday, February 23, 2018

1988 Roberta's Letter to HH -Feb.17

February 17, 1988
Dear Dad,

As I sit here many, many experiences come to  my mind . . . . the great trip to Israel, the El Tour de Tucson, RAGBRAI, and then of course, Key West.  I feel very fortunate to have all these memories that will forever be a part of my life.  Memories that I don't have to worry about losing (tho the details may get a little foggy) or paying taxes on!  Each experience was truly a once in a lifetime experience – and I am so thankful to have been able to share them with you!  I would not trade them for anything – even the Key West trip.

I am especially thankful for the example you have shown us in how you treat Grandma and older people as a whole.  In how you treat them as real people, with a lot of dignity and pride.  I am also very proud of the way you treat people of all backgrounds, and the ability of "never meeting a stranger," and of always having the time for the small things in life.

There are so many characteristics that I really admire in you – your ability to see the positive in people, and your ability to bring out the best in people.  I have also, tho Mary Virginia and I have never said it, treasured your Love and way you show it to Mom.  I feel very privileged to have grown up in such a warm and loving family.  I do have one regret – and that is my failure to have shown and expressed how proud I really am to be a Uible!

I al so pleased to have developed the Protestant work ethic, and also the ability to use and appreciate my time off – and for both of these traits I thank you and Mom.  I also appreciate the values you have instilled in me toward the "root of all evil" – money!  I appreciate the way you taught me to earn it, to save it, and best of all, the pleasures of spending it!  And, believe it or not, I am now trying to put a little away.

Thank you for being you, for being there when I need you, for all the experiences we have shared and I look forward to many more.  When you are 95, you can count on me!  (So can Mom!)

I LOVE YOU!
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album