Tuesday, January 23, 2018

1968 Catherine's Letter -Jan.22

Jan. 22, 1968
Dear Mother, Dad, Serena, John, Mary,

Hi!  I thought I would write you all a real letter instead of waiting for the next reply kind you send me.  I started in math class but as you can see I didn't get too much written before class began.

I really hit the jackpot with the mail today!  Not only Mother's long epistle, but also letters from Glen, Jeff (in Vietnam), Alice, and DENNIS.

Everything seems to be going along pretty well here.  I seem to be keeping up fairly well with the homework (sometimes I even understand the math after staring at it all night!) and I do have a little free time to write letters and stuff!

Saturday night I went out with Jon Kring, a sophomore physics major.  I had a perfectly terrible time -- about all he could talk about was physics and then to make matters even worse at the movie Dr. Wright (my physics prof) and his wife came and sat directly in front of us.  It was unbelievable!  We saw "The Comedians" with Richard Burton and Liz Taylor.  Even the movie was bad -- dead (like bloody dead) serious and the heroes didn't even win in the end!  Physics may be a pretty good major to meet the guys -- but very few are worth the trouble!

Bruce said that Bob Washburn (right name?) was their councilman or something.  Anyway, he had heard of him.

I went to SS and Church again yesterday.  I'm still going to the First Methodist downtown.  Doug Faulkner (don't get all excited, he's just a good friend) went with me, or I went with him -- anyway we went together but I couldn't talk him into staying for SS.  The class yesterday had only 6 people and 84% were from Western.

Sarah's connections were all right I guess – it seems like such a long time ago now!  I think she arrived in Chicago (O'Hare) about noon, took the bus downtown and then came on in to K on the bus.  I don't think I ever told you exactly what happened to me.  After I finally found my luggage at TWA I saw Carol Gargano who is in the room next door.  She had just flown in from Pittsburg (she lives in Washington PA) and her boyfriend John Frazier, and his mother were to to meet her.  They said they would be glad to take me downtown as they were also going into K by train.  I certainly didn't refuse such an offer.  They were waiting on Carol's guitar which ended up on its way to LA – never made it off the plane I guess!  Mrs. Frazier bought us all something to eat there – she wouldn't even let me leave the waitress a tip!  We then went to the Fraziers apartment in Chicago and I sat around waiting and reading my book while John did his packing.  It kept getting later and later and 20 minutes before the train was to leave the LaSalle stret station Mrs. Frazier gave us lunch.  She practically forced us to eat as we were all getting quite nervous about missing the train.  Finally, they decided to take us to the Englewood Station which is a little closer to their apartment.  We arrived about two minutes before the train was due.  After we all sat around that station for about two hours we went back to the Fraziers house and then eventually ended up in the LaSalle Station where we waited for another hour or so.  After the train arrived Mr. Frazier wheeled Jane (girl from Western who I met in station) and my luggage to the far end of the train where we were lucky enough to find seats.  I sent them a thank-you letter.

Sarah and I now have the distinction of being the only girls who have had a pizza delivered right to their 3rd floor room at 1:30 A.M.  Saturday night Sarah went out with her "latest" a guy from Western, lives in PawPaw, has a car, money, etc.  (Almost forgot, his name is Bob.)  They didn't have time to get anything to eat afterwards so they ordered a pizza and after Bob got Sarah back here in time for per he went back and got the pizza, we tied this rope we have to a bag and when he came we threw it out the window, he put the  pizza (actually only 1/2 pizza as he ate some, too!) in, and we pulled in the haul.  What a riot!

Saturday afternoon I went to the Public Library to do most of the research that went into "Miss Boopadoop Weds".  They were very helpful – especially the reference librarian.  I looked through about a year of Kalamazoo Gazette's (all on microfilm, one month on each roll) to find the first day ait had appeared in Kalamazoo.

The pictures are now hanging – they really help the room!  However, they make the postcards look really bad so they are slowly coming down.

My tutee is Helen Rancifer, in the fourth grade at Lincoln School.  She seems to have real problems with arithmetic but she reads very well.  I have only been once but tomorrow is the day to go again.

Is there anything I can do about getting my drivers license renewed?  It expires in a week.  Please tell me fast – I don't want to have that that test over!

I get so tired of reading technical books – wait till you hear of what I checked out of the public library for relaxation!  Young Scientist Takes a Walk, 101 Things to do with a Bike, and two others I can't think of at the moment.  I am slowly reading through "Papers from the History Seminar of Kalamazoo College" Right now I'm on No 1 (I told you I was going slowly!) which is "Kalamazoo's own Co. 'C' 1851-1941".  The next one is "The Development of Church-Related Colleges in Michigan between 1830 and 1860.

I like English because about all we have to do is read one short story a week, and write a paper – much easier than art!  I have been over to Miss Wood's office once to get my papers from last term but she wasn't in.

I think I have about exhausted my supply of subject matter but just in case I will leave this is the typewriter and go to supper.

It's a good thing I wrote most of this letter earlier.  I just got back from the library where I spent 2 hours doing three calculus problems and I still have six more to do!  Ugh!  Calculus just keeps getting worse and worse.  Three of my best friends are transferring to new schools: Sue is leaving the end of this quarter and Gina and Rich next fall.  At the library I talked to Rick (a junior) who keeps telling me I should transfer now before its too late.  He didn't and he regrets it!  I guess this is an all right school if you love to study.

It is 10 PM and I'm going to bed as soon as I finish this as I've been up since 4 this morning.

Good night!

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album