Saturday, January 13, 2018

1968 Laura Hughes to Jean -Jan.17


1-17-68
Dear Jean,

Since this is the last one of the pretty notes, I feel you are entitled to it.  You know, it's embarrassing to admit to such absent-mindedness but I actually can't remember if I wrote a formal "Thank You" before for the many thoughtful acts you did: entertaining and feeding Tim & John, your pleasant visits to me, the note paper, your cards and letters, getting books from the library – and on & on.

I used to spend many of my wakeful night time hours thinking of the notes I would write the next day and composing them in my mind.  It would be interesting to know how many existed in thought only, and how many I actually got sent.

"The Time is Now" was one of the better books I read these past 2 months.  You must try & read it some time.  It's the most different from any of Pearl Buck I've read.  I received as a gift Thornton Wilder's "The Eighth Day" – his newest book.  You are welcome to read it some time if you'd like.  Charlotte has it right now.

Isn't January sort of a "birthday" month for you too?  We're going to celebrate Linda's & Kenny's both on Jan. 28.  Weegie will be home then too for "semester break."  My broken rt. heel bone & left knee cap is all that's keeping me down now.  Am so anxious to get out among people again.  Almost forget how to act!  I'm taking up knitting – Betty Gano is (bravely) trying to teach me.  It's fun & fascinating, if I never master it!

Sincerely –
Your grateful friend,
Laura

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album