Monday, January 29, 2018

1988 Roberta's letter -Jan.26

January 26, 1988

Dear Folks,

It is 1:30 in the morning and I am wide awake, it will take me awhile to get used to this change of time . . . but I sure want to thank you both for such a trip.  It was so much all I thought it would be and more . . . as the name implies a real educational opportunity!  It was also a real pleasure to sped a week with you both, and Serena, John, and Mary Virginia.  Actually, all the people that were on the trip, from Ruth (with the minks) to those Baptist ministers. (remind me later to tell that story)

I am most anxious to get the pictures back.  I have all of the film that John and I both took.  It will make it somewhat easier to show and tell Sid of the trip, once the pictures get here.  I am happy to report that he is feeling much, much better – the arm is slowly healing and he missed me lots while I was gone.  He had written me lots of letter while I was gone – about thirty pages.  (actually 32 pages!)  He does love to write, especially with the word processor.  I am using it now – one nice advantage of using it is the quietness of "typing" . . . I'll just wait till I ran this off.

Senior Village didn't change all that much while I was gone.  We do have one new resident, a hispanic lady who speaks very little English.  The rumor has it she does understand enough to play Bingo so she should do fine!!!  We have the prospects of several new ones, so I must plan the garage sale.  Did I mention to you about getting a houseful of furniture just before I left.  We converted one of the large double rooms into a storage area.  It is packed with furniture!!

There are alot of colds and flu type symptoms going around at Senior Village.  I have managed to catch a little cold myself, tho not a bad one!  Have you all had a hard time adjusting to the time change?  I go to bed at ten or eleven, then sleep fine, til about one or two in the morning!!

I have enjoyed passing out the bookmarks and the small olive crosses to the residents and to others.  I had enough of the bookmarks to let people choose two of their choice.  Also the residents appreciated the Israel coins.  I bought them at the tourist shop near the bathrooms that I remember so well . . . got about 80 of them for a dollar . . . price was right!

I did wear my UIBLE-KING necklace to the horse races on Sunday and got a few comments on it.  Did you find the necklaces for Catherine and Miss Wendy?  I bet on three races on Sunday – $2 bets and on the last one won $7 so did come out ahead!  (of course I am not counting the $16 it cost to get in and for the brunch!)  But, that was tax deductible!  Sid does seem quite concerned on the new tax laws and what effect they will have on us!  I don't worry too much about it, knowing that the choices are limited, and besides he worries enough for the two of us!

It's now Monday night the first of February – we are now in the midst of end of the month reports.  There are a total of five of them.  We usually have them all done and handed in the very first day of the month but this month the nurse did not fill out last week's service report so couldn't finish them.

I again want to express my thanks for such a great trip.  Hope it wasn't too much on you both to travel with four of your "kids".  We will all for years and years to come be talking about the trip in 1988!  Oh, looking over the first part of this, did I tell you all or just the Morgans about Grandma telling me about "be careful about those Baptists, and how they were just a little bit below us."  Sid did tell me that it was his grandmother that had told him that!!

I do think it is exciting about John getting into the Methodist Minister Scene.  Mary Virginia could be the music director!  Her singing sure did make the trip all that much more special!!!

Thanks again, and I'll be glad to help organize the trip for your 50th!  By then, if I'm still with FSL I should have four weeks vacation a year!  Or is it five weeks?  Maybe I'll be retired" by then and have ??? weeks per year.

I (we) have decided that I will plan to go to Florida on March 4th and then stay till the 13th.  That does mean a couple of days off without pay, but will give me time down there with Grandma.  We need to work out the details, Aunt Mary thought Grandma would be game for a trip to see Ellen and Cy and also to see Velma McGrew.  Maybe we could meet you all in Naples.  Do you think I should plan to rent a car?

Nothing definite now but I may not try to come to Ohio in June for Grandma's birthday – between the March Florida trip and the fact that I don't really have time off officially until November 1st.  I also have plans of joining Sid in Estes Park for a LONG weekend.  I might plan to make the Ohio scene the first part of November – with my ear muffs and gloves.  I would just have to borrow a winter coat!

THANK YOU again for that trip of a lifetime!  And now to lose that 10 pounds I gained !!!

Much, Love,
Roberta

P.S.  Aren't you glad I typed this – instead of trying to read my writing?

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album