Sunday, January 07, 2018

1978 Catherine's Letter -Jan.9

Monday morning, January 9, 1978
[mailed to Roberta in Mesa]
Der Mom, Dad, Roberta and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  We were sorry to hear that you won't be coming back to San Diego sooner but I'm sure that you must be finding things to keep you busy in Arizona.  I'm also sorry that we won't be able to visit Roberta but I'm sure we can count on her to come visit us at some future date.

Our plans right now are to leave here Saturday afternoon and drive part way and then arrive in Gilroy early enough on Sunday to have time to look around together before Gerry starts work on Monday.  I might stay for the whole week and then come home the following weekend and finish packing things up so we could actually have our things moved between the 25th-27th or the first of the next week if that is not possible.  Clifford Equipment Co. will be paying our relocation expenses so I'm going to call Sullivan/United Van Lines later this morning to see if they will handle it for us.  [I worked for Sullivan the first year we lived in San Diego.]

Of course I don't know what all your plans are but I was thinking maybe Mom and Mary could stay in Phoenix for an additional week and then Roberta could help drive them back here the weekend of the 20-21st since I probably won't be here until then.

DeeDee will be spending the rest of the school year with her mother but will probably fly up for school vacations and then spend the summer with us.  It is also possible that starting next fall she will live with us and spend the vacations with her mother.  Time will tell but DeeDee seems to be taking it fairly well.

Gerry came back with very favorable impressions of both the town and his new job.  I am looking forward to seeing it myself.  I called Ardie yesterday as she and her husband and year old daughter live in San Jose which is about 30 miles form Gilroy.  She said that they live on the south side of San Jose so they are only about 20 miles away.  So it will be nice to have some ready made friends in the vicinity.  Gerry said his boss – Jim Clifford – is very friendly and down-to-earth type and is quite active in the community.  Gerry also met his wife and 10-year-old son.

I will call you Thursday morning between 7:30-8:00 (San Diego time) at Roberta's number.  If nobody answers I will try again on Friday morning.  If there is some other number where I should call you instead of that number you can call person-to-person or collect for Wendy and I will get the number and call you back.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album