Tuesday, April 11, 2017

1967 Roberta's Letter -Apr. 17

Sunday 
afternoon
[Postmarked April 17, 1967]
DearFamily,

Was so glad to hear from you today.  I hope Grandma and Grandaddy arrived all right and everything is A-OK!

Today was monthly meeting, they discussed all these unimportant things like the up-keep of the meeting house, and other stuff on that order. (ugh)

This week-end was both the "German social" and the movie "The Loneliness of the Long Distant Runner."  The movie was really good – it is about this boy who is sent to a reform school and all the reasons behind it.  Friends Service Committee sent it to the school

The German Social was really nice, too.  First we had a German cooked meal and then we played all these German games and songs.  Everybody went around speaking German – it was quite confusing at least for me!  They printed a German paper too.  On the first page it is in German and then on the second the same stuff is written in English.  You will [find] it included with this letter.  Please save it, OK? [And yes, it was saved along with this letter, but is not included in the blog post.]

I'm so glad you all can come for Parents' Day.  If it is not to much trouble could you bring a camera?  I would appreciate it very much.  I don't want to keep it but would like to have some pictures of my friends and other things.  See you then.

Love, 
Roberta

[written on the back of envelope]
I do not want to have to open the letter since I would have to break the seal.  Please bring up Girl Scout cookies with you.  Money arrangements will be made.  Is this OK?  I sure want to get my money's worth on this since I am paying 10¢ (in postage). [Double the regular postage rate of 5¢, perhaps because of the included newsletter.  The Postal Service though interpreted the extra postage as a desire for AIR MAIL service which is stamped on the front of the envelope.  Air Mail does not make a lot of sense though from Barnesville to New Vienna, where would the plane fly exactly.]

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album