Saturday, July 16, 2016

1976 Gerry's Letter -July 7


July 7, 1976

Dear Harold, Jean & Mary Virginia:

I wanted to take this opportunity while I have a few moments to thank you for the hospitality you showed me in New Vienna.  I appreciate the warm welcome and sincere friendliness toward me.  It's just too bad we didn't have more time to get acquainted.  Although the time there was relatively brief, the impressions were deep and lasting.  I can easily see why Catherine is the person she is.

I never had the opportunity to sit down with you and tell you what Catherine means to me.  Words alone seem very inadequate for describing what Catherine means to me.  I can only say I love her very deeply and respect her for the fine, decent person she is.  I truly hope I can give her the happiness she deserves.

Hopefully it won't be too long before you can come out for a visit.  Both of us are looking forward to the day that happens.  John mentioned something about coming out at Christmas time.  Hopefully he will make it.

I was very impressed with grandmother Uible.  She reminded me of my great grandmother, independent, alert and full of life.  I wish we could have taken her with us.

I suppose Catherine told you about our trip across.  The heat seemed to folllow us every mile of the way.  We were both travel weary when we arrived here.  At least we're getting fairly well settled.

I had a very touching reunion with my daughter.  Needless to say, DeeDee has taken to Cathy very well.  Dee felt completely at ease with Catherine and vice versa.

Have to close for now, again thanks for everything.

Sincerely,
Gerry

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album