Wednesday, February 03, 2016

1976 Catherine's Letter -Feb.2

February 2, 1976
Dear Mom, Dad, and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  I appreciated your calling on my birthday.  Sorry I wasn't more awake because I'm sure I could have carried on a more decent conversation.  Your special delivery letter arrived about 9 A.M.  Thanks for the card and the check.  I was thinking of either buying material to make curtains or buying some curtains but perhaps you would consider that too practical.  Maybe I'll buy some new clothes instead.  At any rate I've got the money collecting interest until I do decide.  Please thank Ruth Shoemaker for the card she sent, that was a surprise.

I've been going out with this guy named Gerry (pronounced like Gary) so on my birthday he took me out to dinner at Russo's which is an Italian restaurant in Milton, N.H. (about 20 miles from here).  I had a very good dinner and they had a band so we stayed afterwards for awhile and danced.  All in all it was a very nice birthday and now I only have 362 days until my next one!

I went bowling again on Saturday but I didn't do much better than the time before.  I guess it is going to take awhile for me to improve.

I also tried to give blood on Saturday but they won't take any from me until June because of my having been to Senegal.  They said though that if I had taken the anti-malaria pills they wouldn't have been able to take my blood for three years.

X got back from the midwest.  (Maybe I told you that on the telephone – I really don't have too much recollection of our conversation).  He thinks there is a pretty good chance of his being accepted. [to graduate school]  It is Champagne-Urbana where he will be going not Chicago.  He is supposed to hear definitely this week.  If he does get accepted then his plans are to leave Sanford either in May or June.  Nothing definite has been decided about whether they will hire me to take his place but from the rumblings it appears that what they will probably do is to make me Acting Librarian for some period like 6 months to a year and then if they decide they like me as librarian and I decide that I like the job then I will become the official librarian.  The addition is still scheduled to be opened in April.

Well, I hope to hear from you again soon.  Let me know if you have any special thoughts on how you would like to see your money spent.

Love,
Catherine

P.S. Thanks too for the the stamps.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album