Thursday, December 19, 2013

1983 MV's Letter -Dec.20

MV writes to her parents who have preceded her to Arizona and to Roberta in December 1983 prior to Roberta's wedding to Sid. Transcription follows

12-20-83
Dear Mom, Dad & Roberta -

Greetings from the frigid North!  The average temperature here has been about 10-15ยบ, and it is supposed to be cooler this weekend.  Brrrr ––

Things have been running smoothly here - Mie Young & I have been taking it easy – Sunday we had a fire in the fireplace.

My trip to Port William Saturday was a total waste - I was the only one in my class that showed up, and I ended up taking nursery duty.

On my way back from Port William I did get some shopping in Wilmington - I bought a nice sweat suit at Meeks with a portion of Grandma's Christmas money.  I got a 10% discount as it was pick your own discount day - it is bright red with navy trim.

We are finishing up the Roast Pork today - I made Sweet & Sour Pork with the help of a La Choy – will probably finish the soup tomorrow.

Mie Young is glued to the TV whenever she is home, every waking moment.  Sunday night, Steve, Chad & I went to Cuba Friends Meeting to give a chalk talk.  Real good attendance.  Cloe (sp?) Van Pelt was the one who had invited us to come – she is Larry Martin's sister-in-law.

I have been reading the book Lorraine gave me for Christmas - Chuck Swindoll's "Dropping Your Guard" - Very good.

Last night at work we had two groups of carolers – the Brownies & a group from New Antioch Church of Christ.  I guess the Church of Christ (Murkle) and the Youth Group at the Catholic Church brought out packages for every patient – baby powder, etc.

Charlotte Hause called up this morning & invited Mie Young & I for Christmas dinner.  I declined as I wouldn't have enough time& I had already gotten an invitation from Strykers in Port William.  I am anxious to see what Christmas is like at work.

They're having a retirement party for Helen Cline on Dec. 28 from 2-5 p.m.  Sorry I can't go.  I found my Flight Schedule Saturday night.

December 28
Depart Cincinnati 4:30 p.m.
Arrive Phoenix 7:57 p.m.

January 2
Depart Phoenix 3:10 a.m.
Arrive Cincinnati 12:30 p.m.

Several Christmas cards arrived yesterday – I will bring all of them out with me instead of forwarding.  I did forward John's letter yesterday.

Roberta must be sick. I haven't talked to her since last week!!  I think the phone is going into withdrawal symptoms.

Will call Christmas Eve when I get home from work – Hope there weren't any complications on the trip out.

Love, MV
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album