Wednesday, October 06, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letters -Oct.8

 


October 8, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Mary, John, and Serena, and Grandma,

Hi!  Thanks for your letter which came yesterday, also got one from Mary and one from my old friend Sue Durham (originally Steusloff from Colorado) who is living in Beaverton, Oregon.  So it was a big day as far as the mail goes.

We got our first check from Jewel and deposited it in the bank for safe keeping.  We also got our first pay checks last week after having worked five weeks.

I asked the girl who supervises at the library on weekends if she would be able to work for us at Thanksgiving.  She's from southern Indiana and said her mother wants her to come home (sound familiar?) but that she wasn't sure if she was going to go and if she didn't she would work for us.  So, it is still up in the air.

Glad to hear Roberta's doing well and working hard.  Has she got a job at the police station, too?  I think I lost her address so could you send it to me along with Grandma's?  Please.

Dick and I went to give blood yesterday at a bloodmobile at WMU.  He's never given before and wasn't real sure he wanted to.  They wouldn't accept him because his blood pressure was too low.  I gave my 11th pint.  Considering that is over a four year period it isn't very good since it is possible to give five times a year I could have been on my 20th pint.  I'll get there eventually.

Dick got his hunting license the other day.  Paid for it out of the food budget so hope we get some good meals out of it.  Pheasant season doesn't start until the 20th but he and Kuman go out in the fields practically everyday.  Dick says maybe we'll bring some down for Thanksgiving.

Could you make an appointment for me with Dr. Hause for that weekend if he is going to be around and working?  I'd appreciate it.  

We're having our first reunion this weekend.  Bruce Morgan, who is teaching English in Eureka, Ill. has Monday off because of Columbus Day so he's coming for the weekend.  We have class tomorrow morning but after that the rest of the weekend will probably be pure party.  One thing I can say for Western, is that even if it is grad school I don't feel nearly as pressured as I did at K as far as studying.

Spanish class is fun.  I don't remember hardly anything from my old high school Spanish but perhaps it does give me slightly more aptitude than had I never seen a word of it before.  At least it makes it very obvious how easily things like that slip away.  I'm reading a book in German to keep that from slipping away.  Just last night I finished reading The Drifters by Michener.  I was very impressed,

I have to patch Dick's jeans and darn some socks so I better get a move on.  Sue said in her letter that she makes all of their clothes.  Including her husbands pants, sports jackets, winter coat for their little girl, etc.  What little I do is plenty enough for me.  We went to the Goodwill the other day and it was really nice to see clothes at a decent price;  skirts for 43¢, dresses for $1.29.  I refrained from buying any though as we seem to have a well stuffed closet already!

Love, Catherine & Dick

* * * * *

Oct. 8, 1971

Dear Mary,

Hi!  Thank you for your letter.  We put it on the bulletin board in the kitchen.

Kuman is fine.  She's getting really big and she loves to go running around out in the fields.  She also likes to chew on practically anything -- shoes, legs, hands, paper, etc.

I can't wait for school to be out either.  Only I have to go until August.

Mom said you really like the Brownies.  Is that right?

We have a new kind of cereal called "Fruesli".  We bought it at a health food store.  I really like it, (Dick doesn't) it has nuts and raisins in it.

Do you know what soybeans look like?  They look sort of like peanuts.  The other day I tried to bake some in the oven with a little bit of salt and oil.  They came out a little funny as I let the oven get too hot.  I'm going to try again only cook them longer at a lower temperature.  Have you been doing any cooking?

Write again soon.

Love,
Cathy

P.S. Did either you, Roberta, or Serena leave the stationery I gave you here?  I seem to have an extra box.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album