Monday, October 11, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Oct.19

Tuesday, Oct. 19, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John, Mary, and Grandma,

Hi!  It was really nice talking to you on the phone the other morning.  I found my list of things that I had wanted to tell you and it turned out that we had covered them all even without the list.

My life doesn't seem to have altered tremendously in the last four days just because I have now [officially] graduated.  At least that is one major obstacle out of the way as far as continuing my education.

And that leads me to the real news.  We decided (at least tentatively) that it is really senseless to rush through library school.  Especially after having spent some pressure type years at K.  So our revised plan is to take only half load at Western and finish up in April 1973.  There is also a chance of both of us getting part time jobs at Ambassador Travel working with the computer so we could bring in a little more money and thus add to our savings and give us greater capital when the time comes to go somewhere else.  Also since we'd like to do as much traveling as possible.  We figure by next spring we'll move into an apartment in town so that will cost a little extra, too.

9:30 A.M. Thursday

Well I didn't get this finished the other day.  Hunting season started yesterday so Dick spent from 10AM on in the field.  He was lucky because our only class was from 8-9:30.  There was colloquium on intellectual freedom.  I stayed for about half of that but it was so nice out that I couldn't stand being inside any longer so I walked around town and studied my Spanish until it was time to go to work at 5.  He relieved me about 6:45 so I had time to get to my Spanish class.  He was pretty frustrated as he and John Hayes spent the whole day out and hadn't gotten any pheasants so he went out early this morning to try his luck again.

I got my diploma yesterday and also a check today for my caution deposit or something.

I'm reading a book by J.I. Rodale called Our Poisoned Earth and Sky.  The first part is all about food additives and preservatives.  I'm beginning to see why alot of people are turning to organic gardening & foods.

There is a new organic food restaurant in Kalamazoo.  We went out to eat there last Saturday.  The prices were very reasonable but the food wasn't anything extra.

We've both gone on diets.  His to see how many calories over 2200 he can eat and mine how many under 1600, with the proper nutritional balance, that is.  So far we've both been dong pretty well.

Love,
Cathy & Dick

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album