Thursday, October 14, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter to MV -Oct.26

 

October 26, 1971

Dear Mary Virginia,

Hi!  Sorry I have been so long in answering your letter.  I have been keeping busy doing all sorts of things.  

I found some walnut trees so I have been picking and cracking walnuts to add to brownies and cookies, etc.  I also found a whole bunch of beech nuts.  At least it's easier to get the outer husks off them.  While Dick was out hunting he found a pear tree way back in the fields.  I put on my old backpack and walked back there yesterday.  I almost picked more than I could carry, they got really heavy coming home.  I made pear sauce out of about half of them.  It tastes OK.

Sunday, I made some rye bread.  It turned out pretty good.  Also I took part of the dough and added more salt, & shortening & flour, plus some poppy seeds and then made crackers out of it.

What's new with you?  What is your class doing for the Halloween carnival?  How are the brownies and your MYF group going?

Would you please tell Dad for me that his birthday present is on the way.  I'm going to the post office to mail it today.

Write soon!

Love,
Cathy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album