Monday, May 21, 2018

1978 Roberta's letter to GHU -May 8

May 8, 1978
Dear Grandma,

They make these here at the school . . . the students in the printing department.  Usually they are used when you want to write a friendly note to someone in the schools.

Thanks for your letter.  Seems I've done little writing today . . . . or met to say lately.   Yes, it was a shame about the accident.  Hope Serena is doing fine by now.  You would really like the truck.  Yesterday we put in the 2nd tank of gas, so we were able to figure up our gas as for miles per gallon.  Was just under 25 miles per gallon, and that should get better as time goes by.  There seems to be a short in the cab light – inside – only works when the passenger's door is open so taking it in tonight for them to fix.  The warranty is good for 12 months or 12,000 miles.  I've got a feeling that the 12,000 will come first.

Saturday we spent the morning looking at shells to go over the bed of the truck.  That way I could use it for sleeping in, or for carrying stuff back there and it won't get wet.  The new ones were really expensive . . . . like close to $500 for the one I wanted.  It turned out that Marion had mentioned it to her friend Sally, who mentioned it to her brother . . . who just so happened to have one he wanted to sell, it fit just fine . . . which is amazing because they come in all shapes and sizes.  It has a little orange trim, which is an all-right contrast with the yellow.  He wanted $200 for it, and helped us put it on.  I had to turn my head when he drilled the holes on the side for it.  It is in excellent shape, he had had it for two years, but didn't use it all that much.  I think I'll just keep it on all the time.  Want to get carpet inside it, but will have to take time on getting it fixed up.  Unless I just have a week to come home, I know I'll drive home in it.

I didn't pass the test for the probation job I wanted.  You had to have a 75 to pass and I got 73!!!!  I'm glad I did that well – if I had done worse, I would have really felt bad, not if I take it over again I know I'd do much better.

I'm still wanting another job.  I've applied for several jobs, and keep reading the papers.  Know that something will turn up.  I just wish it would come up soon!!!!

Less and less people here now.  The tourists have all headed home, and with this heat, I sure don't blame them.  I've got a feeling I'm going to spend alot of time this summer in the pool.  Have met alot of people there . . . none my age, either children, or parents of . . . .

Love,
             Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album