Wednesday, May 09, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -April 25

April 25, 1978
Dear Family,

Back at work, after a long weekend . . . .  I don't think I'm going to mind a four day week much !!!!  Yesterday was a full day for me.  I was in front of the county personnel place by 7:45, after dropping Marion off at Sagaro . . . . guess that is Saguaro.  [On the west side of Phoenix we spell it Sahuaro.]  I applied for six jobs, all that are currently open.  Three of them are just available for those who are already with the county, the others being open to anyone.  One job . . . . which sounds the best to me is for child placement investigator.  You get a county car and everything.  The pay is some $800 a month to start out.  Other jobs that are open are like a position in the detention center, one at a vehicle inspections place, etc.  Most of the jobs had this Friday, the 28th as the closing date for the jobs.  After that I should hear something.  I talked to the lady that I had contact with down there before, that set up the interviews for me.  She remembered me even by name.  I've got a good feeling that she will help me out again.

After picking up Marion at school, and getting back to Mesa I went to the school's personnel office.  Told them that I was very happy with the schools but that I would like a 9 or 10 month contract with them so that I could get off CETA [Comprehensive Employment & Training Act, federal job program administered locally from 1973-1982].   There I also got to talk to John Sherman who interviewed me before I got this job.  He said that by the end of May the transfer list would be shaped up, and that he would keep me in mind.  He said that if nothing came around then that looked good to me . . . . that I would then have to wait through August.  By then they have the picture for next year funds wise.  What I would like to do is stick this job out through June -- because this office will be really busy after school, then if I knew I had a job lined up for fall I could relax and enjoy my summer.  Spend most of July in Ohio.  I'll just have to wait and see what happens at this point.  I know that I won't be doing much running around in an unairconditioned car this summer.  Yesterday it was 94º out, and here I was in the car roasting!!!

We really enjoyed MY FAIR LADY!  It was soooo good!!!!  The matinee (sp?) started at 2:30 and was over just after 5:15.  The time went by so fast.  The music was especially good.  Also the costumes were really well done.  Guess they were done by the same guy that did it for when the show was on broadway.  The music of course was good!!  Marion really enjoyed the show, and so did I.  Thanks again for buying the tickets for us!!!!

Marion had a nice card from Ruth for her birthday.  Also a check so we have been thinking about where we should go out for dinner using it. We really have been using the gas grill alot.  I don't think we have used the stove for a long time.  Last night we had steak, baked potatoes on the grill.  Several times I have fixed mushrooms and onions put them in a pie pan covered on the grill.  Really tastes good!!!!

The buick is really running good.  It should.  I am anxious to see what will go next.

My hair is cut pretty short.  It is more or less just a pixie.  No part . . . . . we haven't been in the pool much lately but its easy to take care of so I'm going to enjoy having it this short when I start going swimming again.

Serena, how did it seem to be back in New Vienna????  See many changes??? One thing I really like about living in Mesa is that there is constantly changes being made, especially right around us.  Southern Blvd. is really getting built up.  There is a big shopping center going in right across from Woolco . . . there by Fry's Grocery . . . . except at the corner of Southern and Country Club, opposite Woolco.

Love, Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album