Sunday, May 06, 2018

1978 Bev Gooding Letter to John -April 20

April 20, 1978

Dear John:

It was good hearing from you last night.  It would have been great to see you "perform," but, as you know, we had been planning this trip to Morehead for some time, as Jim has only about 3 more weeks before summer vacation, and we are taking a birthday cake along decorated by his girlfriend (she took a cake-decorating course).  We certainly will be thinking of you, though.  Speaking of performing, we've seen you "perform" a number of times, but, of course, this will be for "real."  I hope you still have your sense of humor, though.  We'll never forget you at Catherine's wedding.  You had us laughing constantly at the reception.

In my letter to your parents, I asked if you would be going back to New Jersey this summer - - I seem to remember your saying in the call after New Year's that you weren't.  I thought if you did, Lisa could visit you, as she is quite close to that area.  I hope she gets a fairly decent job, as the apartments are quite high, at least higher than we're used to around here.  I told her she should consult Roberta for advice on how to go job hunting – I'm sure she would have many tips!  Lisa was finished with her job at UD as Assistant Editor of the REVIEW OF RESEARCH (a magazine put out about every 2 or 3 years), but it hasn't been printed yet, so she doesn't have a copy to give prospective employers.

Mary Virginia wrote us a couple of times when they were in California – she is following in Roberta's footsteps with the letter writing.  She signed one of them: Happy Snow Storms!  A few days after that we did get the first bad snow.

Jim hasn't got a job lined up for summer yet, but he will probably paint houses with my Dad.  He did that last summer, plus working at a restaurant as bus boy.  I had thought that my father would give up the painting, but he has some houses lined up.  He's 81, but he says that helps him keep in shape, climbing up and down ladders, etc.

Bob is going  back-packing for a week (1st week in May) in the Smokies with his usual group (mostly from UD), so he is getting everything ready for that, as he will leave a week from Sun.  When we see you, he'll have to tell you about his experiences this winter back-packing in the snow.  It would have been beautiful to see the woods at that time, but what you have to suffer . . . !  Of course, he would probably do it again.  So far, I haven't joined him in the back-packing – I don't think I could take it -- but I did go with him on an 8 mile walk down through John Bryan and clifton around the first week in March, and it really was beautiful.  It was just beginning to thaw, and it looked like little glaciers in the gorge.

I'm doing this on my lunch hour, and one of the girls just said, "You're writing a 'Dear John' letter!"  I suppose people have mentioned that to you before.

Seriously, though, John, we learned from the newsletter that you have really been doing some great things -- we're sure it's just a sample of what you will do in the future.  So, keep up the good work!

Love,
Bev & Bob

P. S. Hope your parents or Mary Va. take some pictures of the event!

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album