Tuesday, May 01, 2018

1988 MV Letter -April 22

April 22, 1988

Dear Mom, Dad, and Grandma,

It's been a really busy week; my biggest project was a 9 page paper on incest for Pastoral Care and Counseling, which got finished early Thursday morning.  And end of the semester things are coming up, so there's always something begging for attention.

I got my mid term from Wesleyan Hymnody back – scored a 9.5 out of 10, which I was happy with.  Got a B- on the one in Pastoral Care and Counseling.  I'm hoping to get at least a 3.5 this semester.  Registration for Fall is next week.  I'm still debating on whether to take 11 or 14 hours  The course hanging in the balance is Church History, which is supposed to be difficult

Next year Asbury is eliminating the MAR degree for MA, so our class has a choice between the two.  I chose the new MA because it is strictly a music degree (without the Christian Education minor).  The requirements are a bit different (it'll take a semester longer to complete) but much better for me especially if I decide on a DMA down the road.  The requirements are 30 core hours and 30 music hours.

I've also decided to take voice lessons this summer from my teacher who lives in Lexington near "my" mall; I really feel I've made some progress and find myself wishing I had more than 1 lesson a week!

I'll be starting another student of my own on Monday – a 12-year-old from here in Wilmore.  My other student (13) will be leaving in May when her father graduates from the Seminary (they're from Kansas).

Work is going really well. I like the job and both managers seem very satisfied, so I'm hoping for a raise at my 90-day evaluation next month, and maybe some extra hours this summer.

I was asked by several people to take their apartments for the summer, but the dorm is cheaper by far – the cheapest apt. is about $150 plus utilities.

Got a call from Kara Hughes (Wilmington College) asking me to play for an alumni luncheon next Saturday.  I declined due to work, homework, plus the pay wasn't enough to drive all the way from Kentucky.  I will be leading the music at a retreat in Alabama May 13-15.  It's my friend Betsye's church– a church wide retreat.  6 of us will be going down to do the leadership.

I think that's about all the news.  Everything is going extremely well.  How was the weekend with John?  Did Serena finish her paper?  When will you arrive back from Malaysia?  Hope all is well in New Vienna.

Much love,
Mary Virginia

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album