Wednesday, May 16, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -May 1

May 1, 1978
Dear Family,

Seems like there have been alot of phone calls lately, and little letter writing . . . . at least from this end.  I've started several letters, but then after the phone calls they seem outdated.  I'm glad that Serena wasn't hurt any worse . . . . . She must be sore . . . . what a terrible way to spend her vacation!!!!  She told me that she would be flying back, and that is good.

We had some weekend . . . . . . Saturday all day we looked at cars . . . . or should I say trucks.  I had decided I wanted a small truck.  We looked at the Ford place . . . they make something they call the Courier. . . it doesn't get that good of gas mileage, high priced.  Also spent alot of time at the Toyota place.  They did not have a short bed (six foot) but were willing to give the long bed truck at the short bed price.  But as for driving, and other things (like expense of putting shell on) it wasn't a good idea.  It drove alot harder.  The lot was full of long bed trucks and they would have loved to have sold one.

Both the Datsun place and the Toyota place is on Broadway . . . . between Alma School and Dobson.  I've got all the details at home, but guess I told you all most of them.  We looked at two trucks at the Datsun place.  The one was what I got.  The other was one with just Air/Conditioning.  It was a burnt orange.  Price wise it was just about the same as the one I got . . . . since it was not a demonstrator.

The Buick I'm afraid has had it, now the radiator is not leaking, but it doesn't hold pressure like it should.  It boils over easily.  As soon as I parked the car on Friday in Phoenix before the test.  It emptied out on me.  Luckily enough I had two gallons of water with me, so have the test I just filled it up.  It seems to do fine except for when you have to be in traffic . . . . sitting still idling (sp?) is when the trouble begins.

I'm now in time room – proctoring it – thats where the students have to come to serve time – for unexcused absences, homework not turned in, etc. – So far no one is here – but the 11:15 (lunch bell) just rang – so business should be picking up.  I'm doing it for Dorothy – as she has to be gone all afternoon – so she needed time this AM to work ––

It's just as well you all know about Marion – she will be going in the hospital on the 11th of May – surgery is set up for 12 May – 7:30 AM.  Doctor says she will be in from 5 to 7 days – she will then have to take it easy for 8 weeks after that.  On the 15 June she hopes to go to Idaho – by plane – to her sisters.  In July she plans to spend in Augusta, Ill w/ her folks – in August her & I.T. plan to do some travelling.  I.T. will be coming here – by plane 5 June – then they will fly to Denver 15 June – then drive to Idaho from there in I.T.'s car ––

I've gotten letters from John, Catherine – seems I need to get busy writing some letters.

It's after lunch now, and seem to have a few spare minutes, so will add a few more lines.  I just now talked to Martha about my time off for taking the test, etc.  I sorta messed it up since I took off Friday morning to study and take it easy.  She told me I could count it all off as sick leave.  I hate to use up much sick leave that way, but we will see what happens.  In one of the letters I started before I mention how I got a hold of the ARCO book, Probation and Parole – its a civil service study guide type book, actual tests, suggestions, etc.  The only one in the valley – after calling up bookstores, libraries, etc. was one in the downtown Phoenix library.  Marion and I went down after it Thursday evening.  I got a interlibrary loan deal from the Mesa Library.  Now I just have to return it to the Mesa Library.  Dad, you might be interested in that they are considering building a new library here in Mesa.  They say the old is too small to remodel.  It really is a nice library.

Marion had sun screens put in the two windows upstairs.  They really make a big difference.  Are to keep the room 15 degrees cooler.  You can see out but people on the outside can't see in.  They cost about $100.00 for the two screens.  Her sister had given her money for her birthday, so that was what she spent it on.  Since she got the news of cancer, she has really cut down on her shopping . . . or should I say buying.

The heavy rains hit us the day you all left (February 28th) and just this last week Alma School Road was finally opened up.  It will make it alot easier for Marion coming home.  Today is a cool, rainy day.  Funny because we have air conditioning to use for the first time.

All day yesterday we spent cleaning . . . except for going to the 11:00 church service.  The place really looks clean and as Marion says neither one of our Mothers are coming to visit.  Now that the house is clean, do come over!!!!  I'd be proud to give you all a ride in a bright yellow truck!!!!

We have been buying alot of cantaloupe lately.  You can get six small one for $1 – which is a good buy.  Lettuce has really gone high . . . . . about $1 a head, sometimes more.  I don't know how these salad bars are making it now.

What is Serena's address in Kansas City . . . . I don't know if I ever did have it?  I feel badly that the accident had to happen to her.

Dad, as to the settlement on the car.  Two things . . . . we put side molding on the car . . . . that was about $80, and the radio was close to $300.  John said it didn't work like it should but they don't need to know that.  Guess the one speaker wasn't working.  I'm glad that John got a good year out of it.  It was fun buying it, and he seemed to enjoy it . . . . but often I wish I had bought a smaller, more economical car.  I want to keep good records on this truck and see what it costs to operate it.  The Buick was beginning to use up gas like crazy, so should be able to tell quite a difference.

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album