Friday, June 01, 2018

1978 Robert's Letter -May 17

May 17, 1978
Dear Family,

Jut got back from having lunch at home - that is if you call birthday cake lunch!!!  They (the office people) had gone together and got me a cake today.  So took a big hunk of it home for Marion and Rachel.  It is amazing how good Marion is doing.  She was up this morning soon after I got up.  Came down and walked Buffy with me . . . then told Rachel she was ready for her breakfast like she had yesterday in the hospital . . . pancakes, bacon, etc.  Tho, we just had homemade bread . . . and real grapefruit/juice.  We bought a whole bunch of grapefruit . . . guess I told you all.  Paid $2.50 for a bushel.  A large bushel.

Catherine called me yesterday morning, when the rates are low.  It was good talking to her.  She really seems to enjoy life with Family in Gilroy.

Talked to Ruth today.  Sure I surprised her when I called.  Am happy to have been able to give her the good report about Marion.  She feels so much better after talking to the Doctor and finding out what he told her.

Mary Virginia, I've been meaning to tell you . . . both phone conversations that one thing Marion took to the hospital and used alot – was your turtle . . . or what was it . . . pillow that you made for her.  She had it on her bed, then she found out that it was good for putting under her arm, so really used it alot.  Everyone commented about it, and she always said that Baby Uible made it.

Talked to Mr. Vaughan today about vacation . . . funny that he should bring it up.  I had just talked to Mr. Vaughan about looking for something in my major.  Now he says that if I work through the month of June (the time when it will be super crazy here) I can have the whole month of July off - with whatever pay (vacation pay) I have coming, and the rest without pay.  Of course, if something comes up in the meantime I will plan to quit here before the month of July.  What does your calendar look like in July?  I want to spend some time here looking for work – which would probably be the last two weeks.  But then that could change . . . depending upon what happens.

This is the last week of classes for seniors, and next week will be the last week for Juniors and sophomores.  Right now things in the office are more or less at a stand still but everything is gong to let loose when classes are over.  I can't say that I am looking forward to working during the month of June.

Got the Probation and Parole book from the library again.  This time one of the librarians was going toward the city and went in and picked it up for me. . . which was great for me.  Last night we took one of the practice tests and all of us did pretty well.  Rachel is a riot to have around.  She treats Marion like a ten year old . . . which is pretty funny.  DON'T REPEAT!!!  She will be here till next Wednesday.

Thanks again for nice card – note & check – hope you had a nice Mother's Day Mother!

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album