Saturday, June 09, 2018

1978 Catherine's Letter -May 23

Tuesday morning
May 23, 1978

Dear Mom, Dad, and Mary V.,

Hi!  Your letter arrived on Saturday although we didn't get it until Sunday when we returned from our camping trip.  We had a good time.  DeeDee and her friend, Jenny, slept in the truck while Wendy, Gerry and I slept in the tent.  The weather was quite cooperative with warm sunny days and cool nights but we all kept warm in our sleeping bags.  We did quite a bit of hiking.  Saturday we went on the Uvas Creek Trail (the only one Gerry and I had been on previously) and the Swanson Creek Trail as far as Upper Falls and also seeing Black Rock Falls, and Basin Falls.  Sunday we went up (and I mean up) the Alec Canyon Trail to Triple Falls and then we came back the Contour Trail to the Old Hot House (where there were lots of rusty pipes and broken glass – I can't imagine who (or why) someone would build a hot house in what appeared to be the middle of the wilderness.)  The contour trail was quite narrow – DeeDee and Jenny thought it should have been declared unsafe.  Wendy managed fine – of course she didn't have to do any hiking.  She just sat in her backpack and looked at the scenery and both days she took a nap while we were hiking.  The backpack is fairly snug so she doesn't bounce around too much but the motion but be conducive to sleeping.

Wendy seems to be in an extra good mood lately.  She has an empty tin can (quite large – it held the 6# of jalapenos) which she bangs on with her hands or her spoon or whatever she has handy and she sings along with her music.  She has been trying out different sounds lately and putting different sounds together sort of like syllables but nothing too intelligible yet.  She still isn't really crawling but she has perfected her "creep" so she can go forward so she does that now instead of rolling over.

I bought her a blue and green rugby shirt at the Salvation Army yesterday for 30¢ (along with another shirt and a pair of shorts with ruffled suspenders – total expenditure $1.00).  It is a size 3 so I figured I would save it for awhile.  However, when I tried it on her this morning it fits quite well except for being a little large in the neck so she is wearing it today.  I'll have to find her a blue and red or yellow and blue to match ours.

I just called Nob Hill to see if the roll of film I had taken in to be developed is back and they said it is so I am going to go there now – we'll ride the bike – and get the pictures and try to get ack before the mailman comes so I can send you some of them.  I also had the copies made of the one of Dad, Wendy and I so I will send you a copy of that also.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album