Tuesday, March 06, 2018

1978 Catherine's Letter -March1

Wednesday morning
March 1, 1968
Dear Mom, Dad, and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  I hope you had a good trip home and the weather and the car were both cooperative.  How is Serena doing?

It seems so quiet here now.  I think of you often.  Last Saturday night we went out to eat at Augie's – the Mexican place – and the Blackwell's from the Gilroy Hardware were there with two daughters.  The older one is in high school and said she would love to babysit for us.  I gathered that they also have a son who was not with them.

I haven't been to Nob Hill so I don't know if your picture has come back.  I'm waiting for the paper to come out today so I'll know what is on sale before I go.  Speaking of food, I made a batch of bread the other night to go with our eggplant and it came out about the best yet.  Too bad you weren't here to help us eat it.  I made two loaves and put one in the refrigerator before it had finished rising.  According to the cookbook it will continue to rise – very slowly – and then it can be baked later.  I'm going to cook it this evening so I hope it comes out OK this way.  I finished up the bran muffins yesterday.  When I fix it just for myself I bake it in the bottom of the corning ware pan – thus producing a round flat muffin just the right size.  It comes out a little crisper on the edges but that's the way I like it.  I think I'll make half a batch of your recipe as that should last us quite awhile.

I think Mary Virginia must have told the mailman here not to leave any mail after she left as the only thing we have gotten since you left is one postcard from you.  We haven't even gotten any junk mail.

Saturday we are going to go into San Jose and do some shopping.  We thought we'd check out Gemco for a high chair.  Maybe we'll have dinner out while we're there.

Wendy is doing much better.  I have quit giving her the cold medicine as she doesn't seem as congested.  She is taking the other kind – Ampicillin or something like that with penicillin in it.  She has to take that for two weeks.  Yesterday we walked over to the bank near Safeway and then picked up some airline tickets for DeeDee who is coming up March18th through the 25th.  It is her Easter vacation.  She is spending the week with us and then going back to San Diego on Saturday so she can spend Easter wit her mother.

Mary Virginia, did you know that every fifth child is Chinese?  Frank Lopez (a Mexican who you met at Christmas dinner if you recall) told me that he is the fifth child in his family and therefore he is Chinese.

I told Idella that you had called her daughter-in-law.  She described her as a "scatter brain."  I don't know what your impression was.  They didn't go anywhere this past weekend – I don't know if they are paranoid now or what.  She did tell me that they went to the Presbyterian Church Sunday.  I told her that you had liked the services, but she didn't sound overly enthused about them.  She said there was a guest minister so they didn't hear the regular one.  Then they went to the Elks pancake breakfast – which lasted until 1:00 so they were able to go after church and later to a jazz concert at the college.  So they didn't sit home and twiddle their thumbs.

We went to the Gavilan Golf Course and hit some golf balls Sunday morning – Wendy sat behind us in her car seat and played with old score cards that Gerry had in his golf bag.  I found out they give a class in golf at the college which would be an inexpensive way of getting some lessons – even if they are group lessons.  I had hoped they would give them in the summer as it would be easier to get a babysitter during the summer.

I hope your meetings go well, Mother.  At least you'll get them over with quickly and then you can relax a little and enjoy springtime in Ohio.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album