Sunday, March 25, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -March 15

March 15, 1978

Dear Family,

It's just 7:00 and I just got to work. . . nice to get here at 7:00 – some mornings last week I was here by 5:45; and by 8:00 when the rest of the people got here, I was ready to go home!  They worked day and night on opening up Country Club Road – and they got it opened for Monday morning, so that makes it much easier on Marion.

Alma School and the other crossings this way still have much work to be done on them.  We got out across Alma School in a jeep type affair the other day.  After going out several times to look at the progress and talk to the guys, Marion talked our way into the jeep with this guy going out to look over the situation.  (one of the work guys)  It was really something to see.  Road signs are all torn up like they were made out of aluminum foil.   Big hunks of the road were just not there -- plus it smelled awful -- because the water cut right into what used to a land fill place.

Last night we had pork chops out on the grill -- really good.  We were going to eat out but it was too cold for me -- low 60's.  Yesterday during the day it was in the low 80's.  NICE!

I applied for a job as security officer – guard or whatever, at Mesa High.  The high school on Southern that we went by that day three times looking for the oranges.  I got a call yesterday saying that the job was for a man – as they have need for both one man and one woman – but it was the head of security for Mesa schools that called me, and he said how well qualified I was – and that he would definitely keep my application on file and let me know if there were any openings.  He said that it was a 9 month job – and would I mind being off in the summer.  Sometimes the district find jobs – within the district that need done – but not guaranteed.

Mary Virginia – I'm not sure of Dorothy's address  but you could always send it in care of the school.  Mesa Central – 260 S. Center  85202.   Have you been bowling any?

This Saturday we are going to see South Pacific – one of the Mesa High Schools is putting it on.  Hope it is good.  You will never believe what we are gong to do tonight.  We have tickets – given to me – by MARTY . . . to hear her group and the Phoenix Sympathy (spelling? ? ?).  I think she has finally decided that I wasn't as bad as she thought.  I've been helping her a great deal with these surveys that had to be typed up – put together – etc.  Plus alot of other busy work ––

Mother, I am returning the check once more . . . . look closely and you can see why.  I never noticed it till I took it to the bank, and then the trained eye of the teller found it.  I had to laugh, because the day before I stood in line, then when it was just my turn I found that I had left the check at home.  Then the same thing happened yesterday – I waited in line with an unsigned check.

I had a nice letter from John giving me his travel plans . . . . N.Y.C., Washington D.C., and Florida.  He does get around.  Are you sure he is still in school?

It's time I get to work –––

Love, 
Berta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure he's still in school?! With John, of course he was. If it had been Roberta, the answer would have been !@#$ no....she's out getting life experience to put on her resume!

Items from Uible photo album