Saturday, March 10, 2018

1978 Roberta's Letter -March6

March 6, 1978
Hi!

It's 6:15 A.M., and I have all the work I usually try to have done by 7:30 here at work . . . . could be because I stayed till 4:00 on Friday afternoon -- or that I got here at 5:45 this morning!  Marion will be part of the crowd fighting the Tempe bridge this morning.  And from looking at the roads, for a number of mornings to come!

We went out both Friday after school and yesterday after Church looking at what used to be the roads.  Country Club crossing is by far the worst.  The water was very high and the road must have been out for like a mile on both sides of the bridge together.  The water was really moving very very fast.  They make you park your car way back, because part of the road going up to it is all messed up . . . . like eaten up from underneath.   Alot of people in Tempe had to leave their homes, etc.  I've got some pictures (and a letter started at home) that I will have to send you all.

The tickets for "My Fair Lady" came the first part of last week.  The tickets are for Saturday afternoon -- which was our first choice.  The tickets are for the 7th row -- and right in the middle -- so we were very fortunate.  I could not have done better myself.  It is tonight that we go see "Same Time Next Year" -- at least ASU is on the right side of the Tempe Bridge for us.

I'm feeling fine -- last week the first couple of days back at work, I would just barely make it through the day, then I would come home and collapse.  It was a crazy week because of the flu going around the office, and also the weather.  Alot of absences -- on part of the students, but the two Jeannie's were both out Thursday and Friday.  Pat was out Wednesday and Thursday -- Dorothy was out on Tuesday.  Verna -- the new one that they hired to answer the phones -- but who hates to do it -- got much better at answering them.

Things in Arizona are really in an uproar -- with the floods, and the governor dying.  He was only in office 4 months -- today they are having viewing of the body in the capital.  I don't think I'll be going down.  Everyone seems to like the new governor the guy used to be Attorney General and guess he did alot in land fraud cases.  [see below for Arizona governor info]

Mary Virginia thanks for all the mail.  We got a good laugh out of the Mrs. Magill and Robert A. Marion does wear your hat and the teeth some.  The Mandes' came over Saturday night -- we went bowling -- and she had them both on.  First she went upstairs and then came down with both of them on.  It does look pretty weird.  She says she is going to take them both to school some day, but she didn't take them today.

I have some (alot) of letters I should be getting out . . . . seems I've gotten out of the habit of writing.

Thanks again for everything.  We enjoyed having you all here.  But, again, I'm just sorry I wasn't feeling better, though I don't when else I could have four nurses at one time!  (live-in)  We look forward to seeing "My Fair Lady" -- thanks for the fine tickets!!!

Sure hate to have to send back Check #1000!

Love, 
Berta

* * * *

Wesley Bolin, age 68, served from October 20, 1977 until his death of March 4, 1978.  He was replaced by Bruce Babbitt who served from March 4, 1978 until January 5, 1987.

"Bolin died in office at the age of 68 on March 4, 1978 and was succeeded by Attorney General Bruce BabbittRose Mofford had been appointed by Bolin to finish his term as secretary of state, and thus was ineligible to succeed Bolin until she was elected to the office. Babbitt, being second in line and an elected official, finished the remaining nine months of the term and then was elected to two terms as governor in his own right."

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album