Tuesday, March 13, 2018

1968 Roberta's Letter -March9

[Postmarked March 9, 1968]
Dear Family,

Hi!  Nothing great new here.  It's hard to believe Spring Vacation being two weeks away.  Will you be coming up after us?  (John, Joe & myself)  I wonder about the tandem.  Would it be possible to bring it up then & take my bike home.  (Just wondering)

I gave my History report Tuesday.  I hated giving it but am glad now it's out of the way.  It will probably be a large part of my History grade.

I think I stayed the same as far as grades.  I probably went up in Biology.  (Would have been hard to go down) Bible was bad I'm afraid.  English about the same with a C+.  That leaves Geometry left.  It would be better not to say about it.  My grade card will be coming too soon the way it is!

Catherine and I keep writing post-cards to each other to keep us busy. (HA!)  Jo Smith (Roi's sister) applied to Kalamazoo College.  She, as of yet, hasn't heard from them.

Last night I must have gotten at least 6 hours of sleep.  Every (well - almost) night Kathy says she going to get up early so she sets her alarm for 5:30.  When 5:30 comes she decides she doesn't really need to get up.  The "thing" always wakes me up and after trying to get back to sleep I usually decide to read.  For instance right now I'm reading "In Cold Blood."  It's pretty scary & all about how they found the family of four in Kansas all killed in all.  But, I suppose you already know how it goes.  I bought the paperback (for 1.25).

I've got alot of books (almost all paperback) that either the English department buys for us (but we pay for) or I bought that I'll bring home Spring Vacation.

Helen is going home over Spring Vacation.  It's costing her a fortune.  Something like $93 one way.  She got her ticket yesterday, I guess.

Got to get ready for supper now.  Will add more afterwards.

Hi!  It's now Friday night I think I wrote the first part of this Tuesday instead of Thursday.  I must have gotten the days switched around.

I'm now finished with In Cold Blood; it was really good & the way it was written you felt like you knew almost all of the main characters.  You sure are right about Silas Marner being boring at the beginning – like the beginning 143 pages (that's where we are now).

I got Mom & Dad's letters both yesterday.  Fine with me for you all to pick us up.  (in fact great!)  We can "check-out" any time after lunch which would be about 12:30 (p.m.)  Is that OK with you please?

We have really been doing great collecting sap.  Sometimes it has to be done  6  times a day.  As long as it gets cold (real cold esp) and warm during the day-time it will really run.  We have 2 gallons of actual syrup.  If we sell it we could get $7.00 a gallon for it.  We have to collect it in Big (& heavy) milk cans.  They are the type that stand up about three feet or probably less.

I think I failed Bible & Geometry six weeks test.  Included is History test (six-weeks) which I think I did pretty well on (conceit!)  Also a Geometry quiz - which as you can see didn't do very good on.

WRITE!!!

Love,
Roberta

PS  Only  13  more days of "Early Waking!"  Woop-de-do!


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album