Friday, July 21, 2017

1967 Catherine's Letter -July 26

July 26, 1967
Dear Mother, Daddy, Roberta, Serena, John, Mary,

Hi!  At last it is my day off and I have some time to write a letter.

They are making alot of changes at the Patio.  Six girls have either quit or been laid off.  I will be working the grill on Jenna's day off and on all the other days I will double as salad girl and waitress.

Monday night I really went overboard and saw two movies.  First I saw "Gambit" at Orchestra [Accestra?] Hall.  It was really funny.  As soon as it was over I rushed right up to Hoover and got there just as "The Agony and the Ecstasy" was beginning.  It was magnificent – now I think I would like to read the book.

It makes me tired to think of all I did yesterday – even though I don't really feel too exhausted.  After getting up at 5:15 A.M. and working until 3:00 I decided to go out on the dock and help the lady from the institute fish.  After about an hour and she hadn't caught any fish I decided I must be scaring them away or something.  I then walked over to the old crusher at the quarry in Marblehead.  It is really spooky – even in the daylight.  All the old deserted buildings and the gigantic rusty machinery.  When we work the late shift we walk over in there after work but I had never been there in the daylight before.

By the time I got back it was past seven so Jenna and I went to eat at that exclusive restaurant with the umbrellas.

Jenna, Donna, one of Donna's friends from Port Clinton, and I all went to the concert at Hoover featuring the Lakeside Symphony Orchestra.  It was over about 9:15 and I then went to a dance down at the Pavilion with Reuben.  I don't know if I told you all about him or not.  He is one of the dishwashers at the hotel.

The other day I really splurged!  I went to the grocery store and bought a quart of buttermilk (yummy! was it ever good) a box of powdered milk, and some Ry-krisp crackers.  The whole quart of buttermilk only cost 29¢ where as one little dinky carton at the Patio costs 20¢.

I just got back from the Patio where I ate breakfast or maybe I should say brunch since it is 10:45.  I usually have raisin bran and orange juice for breakfast but this morning I went way out and had french toast and bacon.  Boy, was it ever good!  [Obviously I wasn't a vegetarian then!]

Starting tomorrow they are changing the hours at the Patio.  Instead of opening at 7:00 we will be opening at 7:30 which means the employees will come in at 7:00 instead of 6:00.  That extra hour of sleep will be welcome.

I got all my clothes washed this morning.  By throwing every thing in together I usually have a load every four or five days.

This afternoon Al and Bill are coming up.  Jenna will be Bill's date and we are all going to funtastic Cedar Point.  The weather is (and has been) beautiful so it should really be a fun day.

Have you heard any more from the Hortons?  I wrote to Marianne but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I finished reading Light in August by Faulkner but I had to renew The Making of the President 1964.  it is a good book but the reading sure is slow.

Charley asked me if I was from West Virginia.  He used to live in Glenville (or someplace like that) and he says I talk just like the people there do.

The mail just came and I got a letter from Alice and one from Patty.  Alice seems to have had a really good time on her trip.

Well, I better close before you all think I am writing a book or something.

Love, 
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album