Thursday, August 12, 2021

1981 Roberta's Letter to/from GHU -Aug.1

 

[8-1-81]
Saturday AM

Dear Grandma,

Thanks for your recent letters -- my lack of response -- is not a sign of my lack of appreciation!!

We are both feeling real good -- Marian still walks with a slight limp -- but her leg is coming right along.  She is a very slow walker -- would never win any foot races!

Today being August 1st -- our trip is just a month away.  I must call today & talk to the Travel Agent about when the airline tickets have to be paid.  Sure hope those Air-controllers get their issues settled way before it's time for us to be in the air!!

You asked about money -- my idea is that we would need very little while on the ship.  ALL meals & more entertainment than we could take in will be provided for the 7 days on the ship.  I think they do charge for alcohol -- which is fine -- let the drinkers pay for it!!

We will have the expense of renting a car in Portland -- but we should be able to do that for under $100.  We will be spending 2 nights in Vancouver -- hopefully at a reasonable place.  I'm going to get reservations soon -- if we stayed at the same place (motel) both before & after the cruise -- in Vancouver -- maybe they could keep a box of apples for us -- I know Catherine would appreciate that.

Once at the Morgans -- we will be there 3 days -- we can sleep in their beds & eat at their table.  We could treat them to a meal or 2 out -- or Catherine at the grocery -- and that would be fine.  I'm anxious to see Miss Wendy Jean.  I bet she talks alot -- hopefully tho not all the time!!

At our house -- again you can sleep in our beds & eat here -- hopefully we will get up to the cabin the weekend just before you go home.

I'm having a ramp built for up there -- one of the Red Cross drivers from the center is doing it for me.  He's a real handy man -- He and his wife are going up there the 2nd week of August.

The cabin is really a great get-away -- from this awful Arizona Summer heat!!  Sleeping arrangements there will be no problem!!

Did you watch that Royal wedding -- out here it was 1:30 AM live -- I know some people who actually got up at that time to watch it -- I watched it after & on the Today Show.  Since I have been to London there were alot of sights that looked familiar to me!!

We had to take Buffy to the Vet yesterday -- he's got colitis now -- nervous stomach.  I can't figure out why he has that!  The article you sent was sure good -- Marian enjoyed it alot & sent it on to her folks.  Marian's father always calls Buffy the WORTHLESS ASSET.

It really is a shame you have lost Judy -- sure hope the new woman works out -- it is good that she lives so close!!

My supervisor is quitting -- has taken another job with the county -- when the county has bought 6 houses & will put 6 senior citizens in each house -- people that should not be living alone any more -- but that don't belong in a nursing home.  She (Ann -- my supervisor) will be the project director of it all.  It's a brand new idea -- and I hope it works!!

Due to the Reagan budget cuts -- our budget has really been hit by the axe.  They are not replacing her -- and they are going to have to let 2 other people go -- who work at the downtown senior center.  My center is (& always has) worked with minimum amount of staff.

Direct Services -- for the senior citizens are not being cut -- which is good.  I went to a meeting last night -- on how we would all be affected -- by budget cuts.  I will be taking over about 15-20% of my supervisor's job -- I will now be responsible for all home delivered meals in all of Mesa.  That means to me alot more headaches -- mostly paperwork -- time spent on the phone.

I have spent alot of time in 3 different hospitals visiting people -- Beside Marian being in several people from the center have been in -- most of them without any family here.  I've really gotten into working on crossword puzzles -- have really enjoyed working on them.  I think too that it is helping my vocabulary!!  Marian helps me out on the really hard ones that I can't get!!  Will have to take several ones to take w/us when we travel!!

It's time for me to start my cooking -- Saturday seems to be kitchen duty day for me -- sine Marian isn't able to cook much!  So I try to make a meat loaf -- cole slaw, etc. stuff to see us through the week -- or at last part of the week!

Must go -- give my love to the family -- I don't get the letters written now days!

Much Love,
Roberta

See you in one month.  Hope you can read this!

* * * * *

[on the back of the last page of Roberta's letter, Grandma has written a letter to the family who were then in -- or on their way to -- New Orleans.]

Hi!  Just finished with 12 Jack letters & it is now after 9 so my bed time.  Had a wonderful rain yesterday after-noon & another good shower to-day with my spouts going overboard so called Wendell to come & see about them, said he would in a day or two so that may be in a couple of weeks.  If I get hungry I may sample a box of groceries that Mrs. W. left this evening.  

Phyllis told me she overhead that the $65,000 house was sold for $45,000 to Wayne -- I forget is it Davis?  The family that lives cross wise from you.

Looks as if about the last of the apples are off of my tree so plan to give them to Phyllis tomorrow as she said she would like to have them.  I asked her to stop tomorrow at noon so this letter can get on its way for with Sat. & Sun. coming up you might be leaving before it arrives.  Roberta's letter will be new to part of the family & Mary's card just came today.  Mrs. Moore called on the phone wanting to know if we were all attending the dinner at Highland -- $3.75 this evening said she decided not to go because they would serve more than she should eat in the evening.

Love to all -- Mother & Grandma


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album