Sunday, August 22, 2021

1971 Catherine's Postcards -Aug.16 & 23


 
August 16 [1971]

Hi!  Hope all of you and all the cars made it home in good shape.  Dick and I are thriving up here on Lake Huron and so is the puppy who we've named "Kumon" (I.e. Come-on) for obvious reasons.  Thanks to all of you for your share in the weekend's festivities.  I think everything went beautifully.  After we got up here we wondered if maybe it hadn't all been a dream.  Most of the "JUST MARRIED" is still on the car so I guess it wasn't.  I better get back and hit the books some more.

Love,
Catherine & Dick

* * * * *
Oscoda, Mich.
August 23, '71

Hi!  I was certainly surprised when you called the other night.  Thanks for the good luck wishes -- I think I did OK on that test but it will be at least a month before the results come back.  I'm studying now for the next two and I really un-enjoy it.  Ugh!  Hopefully it will soon all be over.

Yesterday we stopped at Dick's Aunt's house in Clio and I met all the relatives plus some other people.  I'm sure I made a stunning impression!  Ha!

There was a terrible rain storm yesterday late afternoon and as a result the lake is really high (I guess higher than it's been in 18 years) so Dick has spent almost all day fixing logs and sand against a sea wall that is between the lake and the house.  Until yesterday there was about 3-4 ft. from the top of the wall to the sand that was the beach but now all the sand has been washed away and there's an 8-10 ft. drop.  The water had begun to get under the wall but I think he will be able to save it if the water doesn't come any higher.  Some people 3 houses down wall gave in and now their yard is beginning to fall in too.

Love, Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album