Wednesday, August 18, 2021

1981 Roberta's Letter -Aug.14


Friday Morning
8-14-81

Dear Family,

So how are all the travelers . . . anxious to hear all about the latest trip.  Must be the last fling of the summer with school soon in the picture.

The big production here is the wedding coming up this next Thursday.  I never dreamed it would be the big production that it is being.  It is the third marriage for both.  We are really doing it all out.  All the people here are busy figuring this and that out.  Decorating the car, etc.  I just have one worry -- that is of the meal reservations -- more people than we are allowed to serve.  I did a list last night of the people involved in the planning of it -- and getting it all off the ground -- and that was 75 people.  We will be able to serve 125 people that day -- but afraid that won't be near enough.

I.T. came in on Monday of this last week.  Marion and I.T. (along with Buffy) went up to the cabin on Wednesday.  They will be coming back this weekend and then I.T. will go back to Denver on Monday.  Really seems strange not to have the dear dog with me.  I haven't been without that dog for a long, long time.  I've had the time the last few mornings to go for a bike ride.  We have had some nice cool weather -- where it just get to about 100 during the day.  Most of the people in the area are gone now -- really seems like a ghost town.

Vera has not been good at all.  She just mostly sits and stares anymore.  The heat really gets to her -- and lately I can't even get her out of the house for church.  I think she is suffering from "cabin fever".  (being stuck in the house)  She has been to the Doctors three times in about two weeks now.  Seems that it is her heart.  Monday (the 17th) she wants to fly to California to visit her granddaughter Peggy.  Peggy really doesn't want her to come -- but she will be going unless she is not up to it.  She (Vera) wants to stay till after Labor Day which will mean she will be gone during the first part of Grandma's stay -- which I think is for the best.  I'm sure it will all work out.

I'm just now beginning to work on getting things lined up while I'm gone in September.  Have a woman to come in and talk about drying vegetables -- making homemade potato chips, etc.  That should be good.  I worry that they will not carry out the exercises while I'm gone.  Hate to think that they would get out of the habit.  Next time you folks come you must see the 40 minute exercise deal.  I will bring Grandma over one day when we do it here.

I've bought all the materials needed for the ramp at the cabin.  Jerry and his wife are going up Tuesday morning to put it in.  We would like to take Cam and Anna Squires up there -- remember he is the one who had the leg amputated.

I'm sure you all remember Marilyn King -- the lady in the electric wheelchair????  She has been in the hospital now for almost a month -- had a severe bleeding ulcer -- thought at first they had stopped it and all under control -- but now not so good.  Two weeks ago it let loose and she had to have emergency surgery.  They thought she would not live through it -- but she did.  Not good at all tho -- has been on a respirator -- her choice -- really surprised me.  Now, it's just a matter of time until something else quits working.  She will be the rest of her life on the machine -- not able to eat regular food ever again.  Then I have two people in the hospital with cancer -- both just a matter of time.  One is to go in a nursing home this weekend.  Gotta go, now Friday aftn.

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album