Sunday, August 08, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -Aug.3


August 3, 1971
(6:00 A.M.!)

Dear Family,

Hi!  Thanks for your letters which I got yesterday.  The one letter mailed the Saturday that I talked to you all had been at one of the families house on the reserve.  They had just forgot to give it to me.

I also got your letter mailed the 30th.  I will write the Vancouver Airport today as for a reservation to Kalamazoo.

I'll cash the check sometime soon as I want to pay Sonnie for the totem poles out of it.  I am going to get travellers checks.

I don't understand much about my schedule at U.C.  Did they make it out?  My classes are arranged tho so it would be easy (!) to work.

As for my maxi dress.  It should be in the gold dress bag -- I think.  Either that or in one of the suitcases.  Do bring it in case I don't get anything else.  Also -- I will need a pair of shoes for the wedding.

Wow -- that was SOME article N.A.I.M. had in the paper!  I was shocked!  It made me look like some kind of spiritual giant!!

OH -- I am planning on leaving here Thursday morning -- so should get to Kalamazoo -- um --maybe Friday night.  I hope this is fine.

I also got a letter yesterday from Aunt Mary, but figure if I write it won't get there before they leave.  Do tell them all Hello for me when you see them.

Also got a letter from a sorority at U.C. -- Alpha Omega -- I think.  It's in the trash can already!

Thanks for the phone numbers, etc. of Halls & your motel in Kalamazoo.  I will call when I get in.  This should (will be) an exciting trip.

Enjoyed the two articles -- especially the one about the restaurant in Rome run by the missionaries.  Um -- don't think I'll ever say F.B.I. or nothing.  Afraid it would be NOTHING.

This is just an idea -- but I could use $20.00 more (besides the $20 for the totem poles) out of the check & buy some really pretty Indian material or something & have Marianne make me a dress.  That is one of the women on the reserve.  I would really like a dress like that even if it wouldn't be possible to wear it in the wedding.  It probably wouldn't take $20 -- I really have no idea.

But if I do use $20 out of the check for material I'm afraid I would need more to go home on.  I would be glad to pay for the material after I start work at the shop the 23rd of August.  Since I don't have time to wait & hear from you all I might go ahead & buy the material.

So if you would send $20 to replace the $20 spent on material so I could still go home I would deeply appreciate it.  Remember the $20 is an estimate.

Come to think about this -- after all I've written -- I'll forget about buying material unless I do get the money.  As you all might not have time to send it before I leave Wednesday (next Wednesday) will be the last day I can get mail so am afraid I would run it too close.

I better quit my babbling & close as I want to write the Vancouver airport -- probably United Air Lines.

See you all soon --

Love in Christ,
Bert

PS Tell Grandma Hello!

PS We no longer have electricity!  A long story -- just went out last night!  So went to bed early (10 pm) -- sure needed the sleep!!

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album