Tuesday, August 10, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -Aug.4


August 4, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Right now I'm babysitting -- it's almost 9:30 p.m. and I'm afraid I've got a LONG night ahead of me!  But, I've got the kids to bed, and now I can catch up on some letter writing.

We still don't have any electricity at the school.  It sure is nice to be here -- with a big light over my head.  (Instead of a flash-light!)  But, with no electricity we sure have been going to bed early -- usually between 10-10:30, so I've been able to catch up on ALOT of lost sleep!

The main problem we have is that of cooking.  We hate to bother people as to using their stoves -- especially when they are wood stoves.  But I can't say that I'm REAL fond of cold food!   Try it -- it's quite an experience!!

I don't know if I wrote you about the beer strike in British Columbia.  Anyway there has been one but as of tomorrow the strike is over.  I sure was sorry to hear that.  This is hard to believe but today was the first time all summer that I saw one woman on the reserve sober!

The beer strike has been on just a couple of days.  I heard the news yesterday that it might last six months.  Too bad it didn't last longer!!

I'm babysitting for Marianne.  She has only (!) got five children.  A small family compared to the Shee.. family with 14 children!!

Raymond -- Marianne's oldest is going to camp this coming Monday.  He is nine years old & Marianne bought him his first tooth brush today so he can take one to camp.  WOW -- Before he had always just used the families.

If I get around to it (time & energy wise) I'm going to write the Wigets tonight, and about four kids from school that I haven't written all summer.  This fall I sure am going to try the "carbon copy" method!  If Aunt Mary can do it -- I can too.  At least give it a try!

Do tell Grandma that I say Hello.  I do hope that she has been able to read the letters I send you all, as I haven't written her very much.

Well -- I better close so I can write a few more letters before I either 1) fall asleep or 2) have to go back to the dark school house.

See you all soon --

Love in Christ,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album