Friday, August 20, 2021

1981 Roberta's Letter -Aug.23

 

Friday Afternoon
8-23-81

Dear Family,

We all made it through the wedding . . . everyone here really did a great job . . . as far as the whole day went.  It was alot of work, but everyone really seemed to enjoy all the festivities of it all.  Looked like a style show.  Everyone in their Sunday best, with their best manners showing too.  I've had some trouble with ill mannered people lately -- but I really won't put up with it.  They all really loved the whole thing.

The groom you all met here -- but then you met so many people that maybe you won't remember him.  He was a retired Vet -- think he talked to Dad about his garden.  In fact, I think the day you were here for lunch you sat across from him -- but the people didn't know that it was you all.  (or rather that you were my parents).  I'll send a picture that was in the local paper on Wednesday.  I really had the press here the day of the wedding.  Will send you any more pictures or articles that come out.  The big topic of conversation now is "whose wedding will be next?"

Not sure if you remember Al Wensel -- the little old man that came to the center that weighed about 80 pounds -- there again I think you all met him -- but you met too many others too.  Anyway -- to make a long story short -- he had been sick for about the last month.  Was put in the nursing home last Friday then on Saturday I went with the family to get him out.  They decided they wanted him to die at home.  He weighed 62 pounds last Friday when he went in.  He died last night.  Memorial service tomorrow -- we had planned to go up to the cabin but now will be staying here so can attend the service.

Vera has gone to California to visit her granddaughter -- by first marriage of her husbands.  She didn't even leave her address with us -- which sort of blows my mind.  She (Vera) really hasn't been feeling good -- so I'm wondering what is happening with her.

I've gotten alot of new added responsibilities since Ann Pierson (my former boss) left.  I'm hardly keeping my head above water when it comes to these home delivered meals -- which I'm now responsible for all of Mesa -- we can average 60 per day.  We are trying to keep spaces open for emergency cases -- those coming home from the hospital -- or perhaps just after a spouse has died.  It's a double mess -- because we now have all these special diets -- Low Sodium, Diabetic, Combination of the two, then cardiac diet, etc.  It seems to me that could be a full time job for me -- but then I have the center here which is my main responsibility.

I'm really looking forward to my vacation -- I think they are going to find it hard to keep up with what they have asked me to do.  I'm just not looking forward to this winter when the population out here swells up.

Thanks for your recent letter. . . sure sounds like you all had a great trip.  Take any pictures???  I'm getting my camera ready for our trip.  I was down at the Calloway Gardens with Grandma several years ago.  Thought it was really beautiful.

Must go . . . .

Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album