Monday, August 16, 2021

1981 Roberta's letter to GHU -Aug.8

 

Friday Aftn.
[8-8-81]

Dear Grandma,

Just pulled my weekly report out of this typewriter . . . so thought I would get a letter off while I've got the typewriter going.  Was sure sorry that you couldn't hear me when I tried to call you.  Some of the problem may have been with our telephone.  It's one of those cordless ones -- no cord between the phone unit and the thing that goes in your ear -- that you hold.  Sometimes the sound is not what it should be.  Anyway, I thank Mrs. Salisbury for coming to my rescue.

The travel agent called me up today -- I had her make reservations for us in Vancouver -- but I'm not too happy at all with the price of the room.  It is $50 a night.  We will stay in Vancouver one night before we take off on the ship and then the night we get back from the cruise.  This weekend I am going to check out some travel books and see about making a reservation myself in a motel there.  This $50 room is a room especially equipped for wheelchairs.  I will keep you posted on it.

I hope that Mary Virginia got down to see you Wednesday morning as to the money involved in plane tickets.  This is sure going to be a once in a lifetime experience for us.  If it is ok I will just send you the plane ticket for your flight here -- keeping here the rest of your tickets -- cruise, and plane tickets from her to Vancouver.  Will keep them under lock and key . . . .

We have alot of exciting news happening at the center.  We are going to have a big wedding here in less than two weeks.  The groom is 84 and the bride is 73.  All the talent in the wedding will be from here -- as to singers, etc.  We have decorating committees, entertainment committees, etc.  I think its the neatest thing.  I might take the excuse to buy a new dress.  Our one problem is going to be space -- the wedding is to be at 11:00 in the morning -- followed by the lunch.  The official announcement was made today -- and everyone was so excited.  It will be the big program for the month.

Vera -- the little old lady staying with us had a spell yesterday with her heart.  We got her to the doctor.  He wanted to put her in the hospital -- but she had no interest in that.  So she is to stay in bed for 48 hours -- and then back to the Doctors on Monday.  We had planned on going to the cabin this weekend -- but now that is out.  I.T. is flying in on Monday tho and Marion and I.T. will be going up there next week.

We got our July electric bill.  I had so hoped I could get it under $100 -- had turned off the hot water heater, using only the clothes line, etc.  But it was $120.04.  I keep thinking what if I was really poor.  Of course during July Marion was here -- and she is never cool enough.  Always wants to have a fan going.

I'm doing some volunteer work for a group called HOSPICE -- they work with the terminally ill.  I have two women I go and visit -- both of them are dying with cancer.  One is not suppose to live more than 6 months more.  Neither of them have a good appetite.  It's really very sad -- but then I feel like I am doing them alot of good so I stick right in there and do my best.

Bet your house seems pretty quiet with the family gone this week.  I talked to both Mary Virginia and Mie Young the other night and they both seemed very excited about going on the trip.  I wish I could meet Mie Young.  She seems like she would be very nice.

It's time I wind this up and get going.  See you in less than a month.  Be sure and bring a cotton dress for Arizona.

Much Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album