Tuesday, August 03, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -July 30

 

July 30, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Hope you all are fine.  Boy -- have I really been busy -- then tonight we had to move unexpectedly -- will tell you more about that later.

This week has sure been a busy one.  But -- yesterday we went to Ron & Emily's -- Douglas Lake and had our first day off that we have had all summer.  Wow -- was it ever great!!

They gave us one of their prayer letters -- which I'll include in this letter.  I would appreciate it if you would try & save it.  You can tell that letter was written early in the summer as they mention the "cool & cloudy" weather.  That's hard to remember now -- today it was 106º -- but it really doesn't feel that HOT.  Hot but not quite that HOT!

Tonight Patsy came home & took over her house.  So we are now back in the school house.  We're going to miss those beds, the hot water, bath-tub, etc. etc.

I took a bath today -- which I'm glad of because it will probably be the last bath I have till I get home.

By the way -- I hope I hear from you all soon about what you think would be the best way to get home.  I have it worked out so far that I can leave Quilchena Friday morning about 9:00 A.M. & get to Vancouver about 5:00, then to the airport.  Um -- that's all I know definitely.

If you have a brain storm and would like to talk to me you can call person-to-person for Roberta Uible, at Quilchena 1-F.  That would be the home of Isaac Lindley.  They are the only family on the reserve with a phone.  You could call them, and, then leave a time for me to call back.  That would be if you did have to get a hold of me in a rush.

I cannot believe I'll be leaving here in two weeks.  I am NOT telling people back home that I'll be early, but if you have then that is fine.

OH -- I no longer have a sleeping bag -- I mean for about ten days.  As I gave it to one of the boys in the reserve to take to camp. I hope that's OK.

I am going to write Sappy [?] about sending back my C.P.O. with the camp group when they come back.  I also wrote Pam & told her that I'll send her money to mail my tote-bag back home.  Those are the two major things that I have scattered all over the GREAT NORTHWEST!

Bible School went fine for the last week.  Wednesday night we had our program.  All the kids really got a "big feeling" out of it.  But the funny part was that I wore my pants suit -- the one I bought with my birthday money & every kid here said at least three times "Oh, you sure got all dressed up."  As all summer I have worn exclusively three pair of jeans, a pair of shorts & about 4 tops.

One little girl told me I should get my camera & take a picture -- and I did.  A little boy gave me his hat for the picture so it should be interesting!!

I hope you realize Dad that I need money to get home on.  Or rather to get to Kalamazoo on.  So do send how ever much you think I need.  By the way -- I would appreciate a little extra -- since my plans are not real definite & in case something would come up.

Well -- I better be closing.  Hope to hear from you all soon.  Do tell everyone hello for me and be sure & tell Grandma "Hi" for me.

Love in Christ
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album