Friday, May 29, 2020

1990 Roberta's Letter -June 2

June 2, 1990 [mailed to Turkey]
Dear Folks,

Hope the travellers are doing quite well and enjoying all the experiences!  I called New Vienna and talked with both Cathy and Aunt Mary at some length and happy to report that all is going great there!  I told Cathy I would pay her way out to Arizona this winter to visit when Grandma is here!!  She might take me up on that!  At this time it looks like I will be able to come the first part of July.  With Sid leaving here for Colorado to meet Cynthia there on the 14 of July, I would need to be back before then.

Just got Mary Virginia's dresses ironed and into the second hand store.  If they sell the first 30 days will make more money for her!  When I called Grandma's this AM they said that Serena had just been in for a nice visit before going to Greenville for the day.

Tomorrow is the going away banquet for the minister at First Methodist -- at the Pointe in the ballroom.  Sid and I made out reservations and paid for them but now with him gone to Sara's I have asked Wendy Jean.  So she is in quite a tither as to what good outfit she shall wear.  She is willing to visit a former resident who is now in a nursing home near there.  Gwen Cleal the 95-year-old -- possible stroke.  We are hopeful that she will be able to come back.  We will save the room for a month or so.

We do have a new man moving in soon.  His wife just died of 66 years.  I take it she was the healthier one.  He isn't sure about being able to fix his breakfast.  He has no other family or friends.  Also have two sisters -- one 94 and one 92 that are considering moving in.  The older one is the healthier one.  In fact, she is still driving, tho not much.  The younger sister who is in her 80's is here from California quite anxious to get her two sisters situated.  Younger sister also want me to tell 94-year-old that she would have to give up car when she moves in.

Sid called last night 11 PM his time.  He had just gotten done working for the day at Sara's.  Said he would have to work many long days to get all done that Sara is hoping to get done.  He had started his work yesterday at 6 AM!!!  Today he was going to start to reroof her garage.  And it is a huge garage! I hope he is able to take off the day of graduation!

Schuller is in bad need of money in order to keep the TV ministry.  So many good causes!   Did I tell you that we hired a new activity director -- Gloria Carpenter -- who is very active in Trinity Bible.  Did teach physical education and health but now only wants to work part-time.  She is recruiting many new volunteers and seems to have all kinds of contacts.  Has found a swimming pool for the residents to use this summer.  Also is able to get free printing through Honeywell Bull.  That's a real plus!

Went out for a bike ride this AM.  Have done just over 100 miles on the bike this last week.  I did take my first bike down to the bike shop to see what they would give me for it the Biachi, was told a grand total of $100.  For that I will keep it.

Will be anxious to hear about your trip.  For now I need to figure out how to get this from the screen on our typewriter to the paper.

DID IT!  [rest of letter is handwritten]  Tho I did goof up on the margins! 

Baby Beethoven is doing OK now -- He was very upset when the suitcases were being packed.  He might have been confused when Sid left (instead of me!)

I've been spending quality time w/ Baby Beethoven.

Much Love,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album