Monday, May 04, 2020

1970 Catherine's Letter -May 7


May 7, 1970
Dear Mom and Dad,

Hi!  It has been nice talking to you on the phone lately and I'm really sorry to foul up your plans for this weekend.  I'm sorry I won't get to spend Mothers Day home or here with you.  My thoughts will be there though.  I have realized lately that I ought to share my thoughts with you so maybe you can understand a little better what I am doing and more important maybe, why.  Otherwise you may be in for a real big shock -- tomorrow or next year -- which I haven't prepared you for in the slightest.  I haven't had any course in "parent psychology" so I may be going about this whole matter in the wrong way.  The fact is I love you and I'm hoping you're interested.

The "complications" for this weekend may seem rather selfish on my part.  I can only say that Dick is the most important person in my life.  It is a tremendously beautiful relationship -- to be able to love, share and trust each other and yet I don't feel tied down, no forces or pressures on my individuality or in any way committed to anything beyond NOW.  NO, I am not about to settle down to the domestic scene and there are no plans in the foreseeable future -- it is all wide open to anything, anytime, anywhere and anyone.

Classes are going (who knows where).  I'm all involved right now in a paper (10-15 pages) due next Friday in my German literature class.  We choose our own topics and I'm doing mine on some aspect of "Minna von Barnhelm" a play written in the 1760's by G. E. Lessing.  I spent all day today reading a biography of Lessing.  As far as German goes, I'm never lacking for things to read or study.  There is an infinite amount to learn or at least come into contact with.

Although I realize my time here is not wasted, I am not overcome by a great desire to get a degree.  If any other opportunities arise . . . .  I'm not sure I would turn them down.  A couple weeks ago we heard of a former K student, who with her boyfriend, had gotten a hold of some land in Vancouver.  Rumor has it they are coming to K to get some other kids to start a commune.  It is a tempting thought, especially contrasted with all the hassle here.  Dick and I also heard of a freighter from Vancouver to New Zealand that will carry passengers for only $50.  Maybe we will check it out if we get into Canada while we are out West.  I'll keep you posted but I've got to go now.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album