Wednesday, May 20, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter to GHU -May 26


Memorial Day
Monday Evening
[May 26, 1980]
Dear Grandma,

Hi! Thought today about all the Memorial Day parades that I watched from your front steps . . . and wondered if there were a parade today in New Vienna.  Out here didn't seem to have much in that line, stores were open, and just seemed like another shopping day!!!

According to my calculations (thanks to letters from both you and Aunt Mary) seems like the Hortons will be in New Vienna now.  I'm glad that they are enjoying Uncle Bill's retirement . . . sounds like they have a summer full of plans lined up!!!

And speaking of summer plans!!!!  Let me hit you up with some ideas that I've had.

Since the folks and also Mary Virginia are planning on coming out here I have pretty much decided not to make the trip back to Ohio this summer.  Now, I was wondering if you might be interested in coming out to Arizona -- possibly the last part of September or during October.  Spending a few days here -- then going on to Oregon to visit Catherine and that smart niece of mine.  Wendy Jean can now say Roberta -- etc.  Now that we are on one floor it would be no problem for you to stay here.  Also I've already talked to Catherine about this plan and she thinks that its a great plan.  So what is your thinking????

Grandma, thanks again for the birthday money.  I bought a red skirt and blouse with the money.  It's really a sharp outfit -- if I say so myself.  This Friday at work we're promoting wearing RED, WHITE, AND BLUE -- so I'll be right in style.  The blouse is red and white.  It goes with my two other skirts -- so I can wear it alot.  Also Marion has lots of blouses (which I wear) that go with the skirt -- so I can really mix and match both of them.

I'm not sure if you remember Debbie Fenner -- but she is a good friend of Vanessa's.  Debbie was married earlier this past month -- guess Vanessa was in the wedding -- and really dressed up.  I'm sorry I missed the occasion!!!!  Debbie was married in between bowling season and ball season.

Think I told you how we planted all these things in a two foot border around the back yard.  Thanks to Buffy walking and laying down all over the plants they were not growing so much.  Then about two weeks ago went out and bought and put up a small white fence all around the area.  Now that dog has learned to jump the fence -- so it seems we are back to where we started.  He's so funny about the back yard -- doesn't want to be back there, unless we are back there with him the whole time.

This is Marion's last week of classes.  So she has her work cut out for her this week . . . averaging grades, marking all the computer cards, etc.  She will be here one more week after this week and then head back to the Mid-west.

Past my bedtime . . . please let me know about how you think on the idea of coming out here and then going to Oregon.  As long as I plan ahead, I can get off either in September or October.  This is going to be my first summer in Arizona -- and my first summer to work for some time!!!!  Hope I can handle it.

My greetings to the Hortons.  Know that they will have a pleasant -- and busy stay.

Will send these both to you Grandma -- please distribute --

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album