Wednesday, May 06, 2020

1970 Catherine's Letter -May 10

10:50 PM, Sunday
May 10, 1970
Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi!  Hope you all had a good Mothers' Day -- especially you - Mother, and Grandma.  I have been spending the major part of the day studying -- at least since Dick's aunt and mother left.  We all stayed out at his house for the weekend and it was nice to be away from here for awhile but there were some rather tense moments concerning the California trip and our thoughts on life in general are quite uncomprehendable to them.  They aren't quite sure how Dick, who used to be such a fine, upstanding, clean cut American boy has suddenly turned into a long-haired radical.  Perhaps they view me as his downfall but they couldn't throw that at him too hard.  I think his aunt only regrets that neither his uncle nor his father are still alive to pound some sense into him.  None of our arguments about how we have to lead our own lives, make our own mistakes, and learn for ourselves what life is all about, went over well.  However, the plans to leave here on June 10 and head west remain and they hope to get back here once more before then.

I'm over the hump of the mid quarter depression but it isn't going to be easy sliding into finals.  Did I tell you I'm again considering going to library school?  I decided it would be kind of neat to be a reference librarian and then I should be able to find anything in a library.  Before I do anything serious like that though I have to graduate from here and I'm not sure how easy that is going to be.  The nutrition kick I have almost eliminated --interesting, yes, studying it on my own maybe but nothing school-ey in that area -- at least it isn't appealing right now.

I'm starving so I think I'll go to bed so I can get up and eat breakfast.  Good night!

Love,
Catherine

P.S.  I'm going to try to get a note off to Roberta for her birthday but in case it is late, tell her happy birthday for me.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album