Thursday, May 14, 2020

1980 Family Letter -May 19

Monday --
May 19, 1980
Dearest Family --

We had a rainy weekend but enjoyed our visit with John and Carol.  Sorry that Mary Virginia couldn't go with us.  the MYF carwash was scheduled for Saturday but due to weather had to be cancelled but she felt like she had to study for tests and had errands to do for G'ma.  The Sankers did come yesterday but glad to not have prepared for them at noon for dinner as they didn't arrive til almost 2:30.  They had to go home after church and feed the dogs and give them a run, etc.  Mary Virginia ate on the run as graduation was at 1 PM and she had to be there at 12:30 to be in chorus and band.  She went to graduation parties at Leanne's and also Jimmy Butlers.

We got to John and Carol's too late to see little Brooke for whom Carol is babysitting but just in time as far as John getting home.  We went to a very good Chinese restaurant Saturday evening that was doing a big business.  We went back to their house, had dessert - real good pie that Carol had made, saw movies of their trip to Florida and good pie and then left about 9 PM so had a full day.

Both Catherine and Serena called Friday morning and always glad to hear the latest from them and got to talk to Wendy too.  Today we had a letter from Catherine and had one from Roberta on Saturday.  So sorry to hear about Roberta's accident on her cycle -- wonder if it might have been much worse if you hadn't had a windshield, Roberta.  Hope they weren't your new sandals that you ruined and no doubt you would be really sore for a few days.

Thanks for Wendy's latest drawing which you sent, Catherine and glad to read about the camp where you plan to go and help clean up over Memorial Day.  Sounds like a good combination of fun and work which is for a good cause too for the Methodists.

Mt. St. Helens has really been in the news.  Did you feel the tremor and/or see any of the ash from it?  Heard that as far as New England would see some of the effects and weather could be affected for years to come.

Was happy to hear about Serena's raise and know she can always make good use of it.  We are still planning on going to Chicago the end of May even though the Hortons maybe here then though I wish there wasn't that conflict.  Serena also mentioned that she had gone to church where David Hiestand is the  minister -- Rogers Park Methodist.  He thinks our families may be related.  She didn't mention that we had heard about him through the New Zealand Joe Hiestands.  At least the Hortons will be here to look after G'ma while we are gone.

Catherine writes that she is now officially the data Analyst for Jefferson County.  Basically she is concerned with the sale of properties and how the sale price relates to the assessed market value and the ratio studies involved in comparing the sale price with the assessed.  She fills out sales data cards on every transaction and sends letter to both the buyer and seller to confirm the sale price and gets other pertinent information.  She may also get into an appraiser's trainee program.

Aunt Mary's letter to G'ma today included a letter from Joe who is thinking about going to study art full time.  He is coming to NY to study for 2 weeks and if he likes it well enough will either stay or come back next year to Students Art League.  He has two weeks vacation during the Moslem Ramadan holidays in August.  He has been living overseas ten years now and he's getting a little tired of it and feels he is losing touch with America -- needs to get recharged.  He wonders what everyone's reaction to Carter's ridiculous blunder in Iran is.  Anyway he wants to see if he would like painting and drawing enough in order to drop his job and study art full time.

Aunt Mary also included a letter to the editor of the Statesville Record and Landmark that Cris had written and the paper had printed from which I will quote:
  • "Ever since I graduated from college, I've been receiving once a year a letter from an uncle who I have never had the pleasure of meeting.  His name is Sam.  Like all members of our family, he is very special.  When I think of him, I think of the American flag.  However, lately he seems to have developed a problem in spending and handling money, which is becoming very taxing for the entire family.  As April 15th approaches, I find it very difficult to respond.  I have already given him 34% of my hard earned wages and still he cannot support the lifestyle to which he has grown accustomed.  He suggests I save my wages but penalizes me by retaining a portion of the interest I earned.  As an alternative, I invest in stocks, only to have my potential earnings and dividends subject to support further my uncle's life style.  The incentive to invest, considering the "outcome" and risk involved, is making me think twice.
  • In an effort to help the situation, I'm working hard to get a better job.  Although this is futile too, for it seems lately the more I make the more my Uncle Sam wants.  It seems it just doesn't pay to work.
  • Reading between the lines I feel my uncle doesn't like the idea of me being married either.  In fact, based on his last letter, he would give me money back if I was single.
  • I would like to buy a new car (my present one is 8 years old and in dire need of repair) and a home for my family, but I refuse to go into debt!  I wish my uncle would give me "credit" for being financially responsible like he does when I conserve energy.  I wish someone would kindly tell my uncle to tear up HIS credit cards!  He needs to go on a strict financial diet, for I'm afraid if he doesn't my Uncle Sam is heading for a state of depression, a possible heart attack and a long road to a healthy recovery.
  • Do you have an uncle like this?  --Cris Horton
We have been over to the school at EC this evening to hear the final details of the student's trip to Mexico City, etc., which leaves three weeks from tomorrow for ten days.  There are 29 going.  It will be taking off with a bang for they leave from NV at 6 A.M. (5:30 at Lees Creek so at least we are on the right end.  M.V. went to bell practice this evening and they have their first game this Thursday.

The Hortons are leaving LW this Wednesday and expect to arrive here the first part of next week . . . believe they are taking Larry to the Akron-Canton airport, so they maybe coming down I-71, which would make Newark more out of the way.  Rob has a summer job with the LW Recreation Dept.  We couldn't believe the pictures of Rob's "souped up" car.  As Grandma says "that car is a thorn in matters among the family".

It was good talking to Roberta on her birthday even though the hour was late.  We had tried much earlier but no one answered so I was the only one up when I finally was able to get through.  Then two days later through Catherine's call I heard about a mention of an accident but Catherine didn't have any details.  

I had planned to clean the patio this morning (now Tuesday) but weather is not too cooperative and I'm not at all in the mood but things like that need to be done -- Hortons are coming and I entertain the United Methodist Women on June 10 -- same evening of day MV leaves for Mexico so will be a full one if I go to Cincinnati airport to see them off.  And then two days later Dad and I take off to see Roberta so really not much time left.  

In the meantime we ae looking forward to seeing Serena next weekend.  This week will be plenty full with going to the OBA in Cleveland Thursday returning Saturday for the annual (99th) New Vienna Alumni Banquet & Dance.

[Love, etc.]




No comments:

Items from Uible photo album