Sunday, May 17, 2020

1906 Nat's letter to Lucie - May 6 - Part 2

This is the conclusion of a letter which was posted on April 30, 2016, when this second page could not be located.  The lost has now been found and this is the rest of the letter.  To read the beginning of the letter click here.  




[cont'd from previous blog post, see link above] 
. . . Permanent organization to meet each year and they all decided to make it a bigger success next year by everyone promising to induce others to attend which was done.  (of course I'm not thinking of going alone next year.  Am I dear.  [Lucie & Nat were married on December 6, 1906])  and no doubt it will be an affair to be looked forward too in future years.

Yes indeed my dear girl am looking forward to your coming home this summer and hope you will have a pleasant and happy summer.  Everything is so grand here just now.  The trees just coming out and in bloom.  The roads are fine and if you were here we certainly would take a drive this fine afternoon.  McAteers have not got their Auto yet and Mrs. says she was only fooling about getting a one-seated one.  Am more than pleased to know it for have looked forward to some fine rides this summer.

Wrote you sometime ago that I expected to go to Chicago soon and would arrange to come back via Cincinnati.  Now Lucie cannot say just now if I can arrange it as yet however will let you know.  Yes it is hard to realize that you have been away 10 months.  How times does fly.  And then you will only get home and settled untill you will be going back (or wanting too) leave it.

Well my dearest there isn't much new to tell you and when you see the folks they will have time to tell you everything so I will leave you for this time so good bye and hope you have gotten to look like your self again and I'll receive my picture soon.

Good bye my dear with lots and lots of love.  I am as ever

Affectionately Yours,
Nat

P.S.  Lucie my dearest have just come home from down at your house and feel that I should tell you just what I think and realize about your Papa's condition, and am obliged to tell you that he is failing and seems so much weaker than when you were home and fear he will not be able to stand the trip to Huntington.  However you know he has such a wonderful vitality that he may rally again.  Sure hoping for this so hope he will enjoy his visit with you. 

[Papa = Adrian Wilmer Brown, born 24 Nov 1854, died ten days after this letter, 16 May 1906.  Lucie's mother, Mary Virginia Morrow Brown died in April 1890 when Lucie was nine.  Adrian married Ola Melissa Moore in 1892.]

My dearest that was the reason I asked you if you had told him anything about our engagement.  I feel that he was looking for it and believe he thinks we are keeping it from him and with his condition felt that we should tell him.  Now hope you will understand me for he has been such a good friend to me that I have been constrained to feel as I do.  Now you can suit your self when he goes down to see you for as I have always told you, this matter you can arrange to suit your self so you can think it over and whatever suits you will me. 

Yes my dearest and only love, I am only waiting the day when you are to be mine and what a future seems to be in store for us, and, how I wish I could take you in my arms tonight for dear you are all the world to me and life seems like a blank to me without you.  With all my business cares and troubles, they all pass away when I think of you and how pleasant and happy our lives will be to pass down through life in this way and do not see how it can be otherwise after so many years of seeing and being with each another and know it allways be so . . . .

Now must say good night with lots of love for your dear self.

I am always yours,
Nat

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album