Thursday, May 21, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter -May 26

Memorial Day
May 26, 1980
7:00 A.M.
Dear Family,

These three day weekends are sure nice . . . but find myself saying . . . still not enough time!!!!  We are having such delightful weather -- considering the time of year and the state of Arizona.  Didn't even get up to 80 yesterday!!!!  We had talked about the idea of going North for the weekend with the Stubbs camping, but decided just to stay here and enjoy the cool breezes . . . and try to get some things done.  Also I've started working for Harry at the flower shop now every Saturday, delivering flowers.  I enjoy doing it -- and have no trouble spending the extra "mad money."

It was good to talk to you all . . . I'm just sorry this Prescott thing came up -- or rather the timing on it.  It's called "senior summit" and the governor and a bunch of other people will be there.  I'm trying to get two people from East Mesa to go -- also trying to get donations to help pay for their trip.  It will cost them $25 dollars for everything -- which is pretty reasonable.

I seem to be in-between things this week.  My last aerobics class was on Thursday.  I still had trouble doing some of the routines . . . my bike fall did not help me out on that account.  But even before the fall I had trouble just keeping up with some of the songs.  I've bought the record so you all will have to hear it while you are here . . . and of course join in on some of the routines.

Also my class at ASU is now completely over.  I went over Thursday afternoon to get my project back, but somehow missed the prof., so now I'm hoping that I still came out pretty good.  I register for 1st session summer school June 2nd. . . plan now just to take one class -- and it will be an independent study deal.  Otherwise the classes meet for three hours every night -- Monday thru Thursday -- and I just do not want to go that route.  The summer sessions are just five weeks long.  This Wednesday I go over and talk to Dr. Greey about what I want to do in the independent study.

I'm signed up for "country swing" classes that will be held at the senior center in town.  They will be every Tuesday -- starting next Tuesday -- June 3rd -- for 8 weeks.  I'm trying to keep up with my "swinging" parents -- ho, hum.  I just hope that I can keep up with the hour that the class meets -- 9 to 10 P.M. at night!!!  Country Swing seems to be the new craze out here -- and I'd like to get it started at the senior center.  They say its something like a "chicken" movement.  Also you don't need a partner for it -- so would be good at the senior center.

Also I'm planning on signing up through Tempe Parks and Recreation for folk dancing -- a girl from my aerobics class is going to take it also.  We had talked about taking aerobics again -- then we both decided we would rather try something new.  Both of these classes cost $5.00 each -- for the 8 weeks of classes.  Pretty reasonable -- especially when you compare to how much these studios are charging.

My congrats (can't spell it out) to Mary Virginia for getting the honor of Ohio Youth Choir.  Where will you be living this summer during your time at the state fair???  Sounds to me like you will be gone lots this summer!!!!  Hope you are able to keep your Mesa trip still on your agenda!!!  Thanks for your last tape -- also your birthday -- or rather my birthday card that you sent.  Both Marion and I got a big laugh out of it!!!!

We had the bad misfortune of having our garage broken into . . . or should reword that since it did happen when we had the garage door up.  We had been in the habit of keeping the garage door open at night -- in an attempt to try to cool the place down -- as in the heat -- the garage was sure getting hot.  Yesterday Marion went to get the tool box -- which is (or was) right on the shelf near the door -- and it was missing along with several other small tool type things.  I could hardly carry that tool box -- so I don't think it could have just been a kid.  We will contact the insurance people tomorrow -- but I'm wondering the policy -- since the house or garage was not really broken into.

Did you all see the movie on TV the other night -- Erma Bombeck's "The Grass is Greener Over the Septic Tank."  We watched it and thought that it was really good.  Also watched part of the movie last night called "Boy from Left Field" -- had the little black boy -- Gary Coleman in it -- was very good.

We went over to the "twilight show" ($1.50) and saw "Coal Miner's Daughter" -- story of Loretta Lynn.  First movie I had seen -- except the TV variety for some time.  Enjoyed it -- the girl that plays Loretta sure did a good job.

The swimming pool is now open here -- hopefully I'll be able to get in at least a short swim today.  We still have no neighbors to our right.  Slowly things are getting done inside the house -- as far as what the builder is to do.  Most of them are small -- but important -- like the shower door now slides -- instead of us having to lift it to move it.

I'm wondering what I did with some of those diet recipe books -- cookbooks that I had.  There is a lady out at the senior center that would really enjoy seeing them -- if you could find them and bring them out with you.

Mother, you will like the new yellow skirt that Marion got me for my birthday -- out of your money.  I already had a nice blouse to go with it -- so makes for a nice outfit.  Just a week or so ago I bought -- with the money Grandma sent me -- another skirt and blouse outfit.  My next purchase will be a spring blouse to go with the blue pants suit I bought in Dayton before John's wedding.

Thanks for both the articles in the paper -- noticed on the back side of the one where there had been the services for Mr. McCoy.  How is Mrs. McCoy?

Now Monday night.  Today we had Agnes taken on Dial-a-ride to the new mall and then spent about three hours there.  Ate at the restaurant in The Broadway --first time there -- and it was very good.  Open kitchen type of thing.  Marion had carrot cake -- was $1.50 per serving -- but the size of the portion was very generous.

Agnes loves to go to the Pet store and look at all the dogs.  Then between the two of them -- Marion and Agnes they always manage to get at least two or more dogs out and play with them for awhile.

Time for me to be getting to bed . . . hope that you all had a good trip to Cleveland.  And will have a good trip to Chicago . . . Won't be long till you will be out here -- wish I could promise you some of this good weather that we've been having.

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album