Thursday, December 14, 2017

1977 Roberta's Letter to John -Dec.7

December 7, 1977
Dear John,

Only two weeks of school left in 1977!!!!!!  I'm going to have to work over the holidays but at least it will be a change of pace -- after having half of my day now filled with absences and typing bulletin - etc.

Thanks for your letter -- I called the newspaper up this morning and the ad will be in the paper this Sunday.  I'll keep you posted -- sure hope you get a ride from here -- so you can spend more time here after Christmas.

I had a super crazy trip to San Francisco.  The teacher that went along was as crazy as the kids -- drinking, smoking, etc.  I laid the law down and said there would be no drinking in the van while I was driving -- which of course made me very popular.  coming back I did all the driving -- everyone else was sick -- mostly just lack of sleep -- but some had stomach flue -- or something.  It's not a trip I wish to repeat soon.

How was your Thanksgiving at home????  I wish I had been there -- instead of driving with 9 high school students upcoast. But, the trip was worth it -- seeing Mary Greene and also Mike, Maureen, and Billy Sutter. Teresa Maloney had another girl – #5!!!  The buses were on strike while I was in S.F. -- the subway didn't run on the weekends -- it was, putting it mildly -- hard to get around in the city.  Mary Greene of course lives on the one side of the bridge -- then about ten miles --  and they lived on the other side.  Maureen now has the craziest looking hair -- she must have had a curly permanent about 6 months ago -- and it has grown long -- and just sticks out all over the place.  Billy is trying to find work -- couldn't get over how nice S.F. [?] was -- I'm glad he got out of the city.

Had a nice letter from Liz yesterday -- it was just like being with her.  She had the report form the farm meeting -- how the Uibles were mentioned with -- well, you know -- such good workers, etc.  How much Marion and I.T. will be missed at the farm.  Guess the cottage mothers wanted a job description of what Liz is supposed / not supposed to do.  I'll let you read the letter when you get here.

Guess what Marion got me for Christmas???  Got it last night -- a bowling ball and a neato  bag to carry it in.  The ball is black and white -- we will have to use it over the holidays.  I had to be fitted for it -- now to see if it helps my game. 

I had a letter from Catherine saying she knows the travel plans, so now I'm anxious to hear them.  I'll be able to spend a few days after Christmas before getting back to work, and I'm glad of that.

Must go -- it's getting late . . . .

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album