Saturday, December 16, 2017

1977 Roberta's Letter to MV -Dec.9

December 8--no,9, 1977

Dear Mary Virginia,

Thanks for your letter last night,  I like you new stationary.  I need to go on a trip, and get some new stationary myself . . . . either that or just go to the store and buy some . . . .that might be cheaper.  On my trip to San Francisco, I didn't get any new stationary . . . the YMCA's just didn't give out stationary!!!  I don't need luxury, but then I hope I never have to sleep in a cold gym, where you can hear everyone breathe -- again.

Right now it looks like I'll be off work from whenever you all arrive here till the Tuesday after Christmas, the 27th I'll have to be back.  I will be doing all sorts of weird things at work over the holidays, like watering plants, and feeding rats and snakes (want to help me?) along with feeding 26 tanks of fish.  They said if any of them die on me, I just need to pick them up, and throw them out.

What did you all do for Mother's birthday????  I've been meaning to get a birthday card out but as of yet, I haven't even gotten to the store, to buy one, so I'm not having an easy time in getting it in the mail.  Maybe tomorrow, the day before her birthday, I'll get it, and then I can read it to her over the phone.

I called the newspaper and had them put the ad in for John.  They wanted his license number and all this information, so I gave them mine, after talking to all these people, and getting the ok to do it that way.  I'm anxious to find out how the response goes . . . the ad will be this Sunday.  Catherine wrote and said how she had put one in too, so maybe between the two of us, he will have something turn up.

I had wanted to go to U.P.S. tomorrow and mail some things, but I'm just not ready to get things in the mail, seems the same story as the card for mother.  I got Rob a pair of gym shorts from Berkley, that say of course . . . Berkley . . . no, I just decided that it's spelled Berkeley, after all.

I got myself a jacket -- the sweatshirt kind, that has a hood and zip up when I was there, it says Berkeley, and everyone at work teases me about such a radical jacket, for such a conserative (sp?--) but you know what I mean) person. 

Progress reports went out today . . . what a mess.  In order to flunk the kid for the semester, the teachers had to send out a progress report, saying that the kid was flunking.  It's just another job for us in the office.  Some teachers sent out one to every student, just telling how many absences, etc. they had.  The end of the semester is January 13th.  We have about 40 students that will be graduating then.

You don't sound like you are on weight watchers, if you had some of that good pizza in Wilmington.  There is a really good pizza place near Marion's . . . it says on the sign . . . New York style pizza.  It tastes like Carmen's in Netcong.

Is Eileen all excited about getting married.  It won't be long now!!!!  One of the teachers here is getting married December 31st -- isn't than when Eileen is getting married?  Who is going to be her brides maid?

Except for Liz, I haven't hardly heard from anyone from the farm.  I've written Annie, and Sally a few times but of course they don't write letters.

I better go, I've tried to write this in five minutes and my typing speed and efficiency just don't go together that much at such speeds -- so I better quit and get back to work . . . .

Love,
Berta

[Please note: the spelling of stationery/stationary has not been corrected – the shortcut to remember is stationary means to stay still or where you are, or stay at. Stationery writing paper has an e as in email.]

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album