Saturday, December 09, 2017

1977 Roberta's Letter -Dec.4

December 4, 1977
Dear Family,

We're watching "The Gathering" – how about you all – did you see it?  Thats a good thing about this time of year – alot of good Christmas specials on T.V. – beats the high cost of going out – HA – also helps me get caught up on letter writing.

I went on another bike ride today – this time only 6 miles – didn't leave until 5:15 & by 6:00 it was getting really dark – should have left alot earlier.  But w/ the sun setting on the mountains – it really is pretty.

I didn't tell you all about the excitement of the last week – I usually take Buffie out for a short bike ride in the morning – and Thursday I had him out – as usual – he was running by the bike.  As I went around the last corner, I noticed he wasn't behind – but it was super cold so I went on inside – which sometimes happens – then later he always comes.  Well – to make a long story short – we both looked & looked for him – then Marion said we had to get going – so off we went.  2nd period she doesn't have a class so she came back & looked & looked – all the garbage cans, etc. – but no show!  So she went back to school & then came back 4th period – after getting someone to cover her classes.  And Buffie was at the door waiting for her!  I'm sure glad he was there – else I would have come home – not even taking time to pack. (HO, HUM)

Had a letter from Cathy – she said she had gotten your itinerary so I'm anxious to hear it!  I'm having the ad John requested to be put in next Sunday – should be interesting to see the response!

It was good to see S.F. – Mary Greene & Mike & Maureen [Roberta's friends from India, also saw Mary in 2016 in Hong Kong] – but the trip was not an easy one – or one that I would repeat.  I was the only non-smoker out of 11 – also there was alot of drinking – though I made my point that it would not be drunk in the van while I was driving.  Not my idea of an enjoyable trip – I'll fill you in on the trip when I see you – also we saw alot of really bad accidents – especially Wednesday night on the way to L.A.

And speaking of accidents – we saw a terrible 3 car accident today – as we were walking out of church to the car – the Minister had said during the service that last week – there was a close call – because of people jay-walking – so we were down using the cross-walks – had we walked where we usually do – we would have been out in the road when the accident happened!  Was really bad – one car – the innocent car – waiting to pull out of a parking lot was the worst one off – people couldn't get out.

This morning was the 1st morning we went to the 11:00 service – it was like being in a retirement center!

I rode my bike to the library yesterday – got the book "Papa Married a Mormon" by John Fitzgerald – it's good & quick reading – must be half way done already!  Also got a book called "Winners & Losers" by Harris – it's good – you all would like it.

The show is over & I better get ready for bed – I'm just now beginning to fell all caught up w/my sleep from my trip –

Love, Berta

PS  I'd like you all to bring

  1. dictionary
  2. Harper's Study Bible
  3. Carl Sandburg's book – HONEY & SALT
all should be in my bookcase.


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album