Saturday, December 30, 2017

1977 Roberta's Letter -Dec.31

December 31, 1977
Dear Family,

It's Saturday afternoon and we stopped down at the school.  I've got Mary Virginia checking some of my typing – it's full of numbers that all need to be in the right place – so I'd much rather her catch the mistakes now than after they have been run off.

We just got done bowling – three games!!!!!  The first game was pretty bad, the second game was much better, then the third was down hill again.  We have done very little.  One afternoon after work we bowled a couple of games.  Wait till Mary Virginia realizes that I'm over here typing letters when she is up there working.  some reason this typewriter is not at its best . . . the r's, periods, and commas are not coming through.

So far none of the fish have died.  Mary won't go in the science room at all.  As for Buffie he is doing much better.  The first couple of days though were hard.  I'll be glad when my pet responsibilities are all over.  Buffie smelled so bad when we first picked him up.  Mary and I gave him one bath the first night, then the next two days he had professional baths.  (at ten dollars a throw)  Between dog baths and locking myself out of the Nova, I've wasted some money this week.  Not that I mind spending money, but on such things . . . .

We talked to the Morgans last night.  After talking to them, why don't you all after your plans have been made up make the motel reservations through the motel 6 in San Diego.  Just go at night when the phone calls can be made cheaper.  Besides the nearest Motel 6 here is the other side of Scottsburg.  [Scottsdale?]  It would be great if the Morgans could come with you all.  Perhaps the following weekend would be better, then Dad could fly right out, and Mom could go back with the Morgans.

I will have off the 16th either way.  It's called an in-service day, and classified personnel either have to work or take it as a holiday.  County people just get it off.  I am one of three for the job.  I would like the job very much, but I was told that it is not a ladies job, as I would be in charge of all textbooks.  Tuesday I'm going to approach Dr. Crandell (our principal) and tell him I have applied for this job, and I would like his support – or whatever.  If I don't get the job, then I'm going to try to get this job in Iran – through Mike Greene.

I had a letter from Liz, she is coming out for the weekend – the 20th of January.  What is John's address?  I wanted to write him and thank him for the tank of gas.  Besides the locksmith, I only  invested $5.00 worth of gas in the car.

How was your trip up the coast????  What all did you see and do????  Mary Virginia just found that I left one whole teacher out – good thing she is checking it.  I'm going to work a very short day tomorrow – I've got all done that I was told to get done now – it's a good feeling.

Mary Virginia can sure go through money.  She drinks one of those frozen things of orange juice in one or at the most two days.  We went in a music store last night, and she came up with about ten dollars worth of music she wanted (sheet music – she said that she couldn't find it any place else)  I talk her out of that and before I decide the tape I'm going to get, she has one bought.  I took the tape back that broke my tape cassette – I got it back from the repair shop – they wanted $28.00 to fix it.  I told them I'd just as quick take it back without getting $28.00 in it.  Then they wanted to charge me $8.00 for keeping it on their shelf for two weeks, and giving me this estimate.  I told them what a way to do business – they let me out without paying the $8.00 ! ! !

I bought a Charlie Pride tape – 8-track so that it will fit Marion's player.  Just can't understand why everyone doesn't like Charlie.

I had a nice note from Grandma today . . . guess Uncle Bill had a cold so the relatives did not come in for dinner, said that it was cold in Florida – 42 I think.  Here it has been raining – kind of bad, because I can't leave Buffie out all day.  He doesn't even want to go out for a walk – which he usually loves to do.

Love,
Berta

PS  Again – if it would be better – wait & come weekend of 13th it might work out better –

Mary V. will be fine – I'll have her on a strict budget ––

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album