Thursday, December 28, 2017

1987 Roberta's Letter -Dec.29

12/29/87

Dear Folks,

Here I sit at our new typewriter and word processor, perhaps I will be able to master this one!  It's more "user friendly", or at least so says Sid!  It sure does have all kinds of features, everything from a thesaurus to a punctuation check!  (tho, I can't quite figure out that -- or rather how it works!)

Thanks for your letter today.  I'm glad to hear that the garage door opener is now a reality!  I feel much better having more security for the bicycles!  And speaking of bikes, I sure appreciated the bike socks and the bike keychain, and the small bike.  I got a total of four bikes for Christmas, that is the coffee table kind.  Some people collect coffee table books, but I collect bikes!  I do have some bad news about my Cannondale, it's now in the repair shop.  I had the unfortunate experience a week ago Sunday of hitting the back end of a parked car.  Landed on the trunk, mostly just hurt my lip along with some black and blue spots on the arms and legs.  I sure scratched my helmet.  Was lucky that I did not go thru the back windshield.  It happened about a block from Sid's accident.  I had done about 28 miles and thought I would just ride around the safe side streets here to get an even 30 miles in!  Sid came after me, we left a note on the car -- it also got some scratches -- the guy called a few days later and wasn't worried about the scratches!  It wasn't a new car -- perhaps my bike is worth more than his car!  It was necessary for me to get a new pair of glasses -- others broke right in the middle.  But, don't fret, I'm now fine, and the bike should be good as new soon.  (parts had to be ordered!)

Thanks too for your Christmas card and check.  I hope to do some shopping while we are on our trip.  I won't just put it toward buying coca cola!  Tho I am wondering what the going price will be over there!  I don't think I will plan on taking any with me!  HA!

I did call up Lois Bruce night before last.  She was really down and out because her good friend there had just died – Clara – who had been her "tablemate" since her husband had died.  Also just the day before Christmas the only nephew of the San Diego family, actually his wife had had a miscarriage.  Lois Bruce had also been wondering what had happened to me since I had quit writing.  Hopefully – with the help of the PWP (Personal Word Processor) I shall do better in 1988!  Already feel like I am off to a good start, getting this letter started and did get a Happy New Year card off to Grandma.

Remember Georgia Flittner – she helped us with our wedding?  Tho I don't think she was all that knowledgeable – but then I don't mean to insult her.  Her husband just retired, think in October and died just a few days before Christmas.  The funeral was yesterday and I went.  Church was sure full.  It was an open casket service – not really my style.  A sad note – he was just 60 years old.

Tomorrow we need to be at the hospital at 6:00 – Sid's surgery is scheduled for 7:30.  I'll sure be relieved when it is all over, and I know Sid will be too.  The surgery should take about one hour and a half, and then about that long in the recovery room.  I'm going to take the day off from work – or at least most of the day – one of the advantages of being in "management."  I'll let you all know how Sid gets along, tho I'm afraid it will be quite painful!  Just hoping that the surgery will correct the wrist and make it as good as new again!  He is talking about best places where we can go and bicycle once he is able to again!  Tho he is uneasy about the surgery (and I don't really blame him) we were talking tonight over Chinese food that it could be safer than riding a bicycle on the streets of Phoenix!  After the Chinese meal we went over to our favorite yogurt place and both got yogurt.  Sid is now eating the Chocolate flavor.  Actually yogurt is suppose to have a calm, soothing effect on the stomach. (and perhaps the mind)

Our phone bill finally did come, according to my rough calculations about $20.00 would be yours.  Actually this bill isn't our all time high – looks like this month will be – between holidays and hospitalization – the phone company really makes the money!

I've got all kinds of big news – I'm now the proud owner of a Schwinn Air-Dyne.  It's a fantastic machine.  Exercises both the legs and arms at the same time!  I had been talking that I wanted a trainer for Christmas so Sid did get a real good one (Schwinn) – but then once I had it I realized that between the exercise bike (that I really enjoy) and the cooperative weather most of the time in Phoenix, and the fact that I was turning our family room into an exercise room – and the additional fact that it was no easy task to hook up the bike to the trainer . . .  we made a trip down to our favorite bike store and made a major decision.  (Now, that is officially a ran-on sentence!!)  Returned the trainer, traded in the exercise bike, put some more money on the table and got the Air Dyne.  It is a great machine.  It's top of the line.  That's us . . . top of the line, with the Cannondale we have an image to keep!  HA!  I used it for one half hour last night and actually sweated!  Now that is a real accomplishment for me!  I'll let you all use it when you come to Phoenix next!  And I'm sure Sid will let (will be happy to show you how) to use the PWP.  He rally does enjoy it and is already doing great things with it!

Thanks for calling, we appreciate your concern.  It's not a real happy thought of the surgery tomorrow . . . but again hopeful that the outcome is successful!

Much Love,

Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album